• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

hydroponic Hydroponic Koi Pond

I have a rather large and established Koi pond built in my back yard. I was wondering if it would be possable to use it as an organic hydroponic system.
The waterfall aerates the fish and pond plants that are already in there. Dead leaves and fish poop could act as fertilizer. The fish would end up trimming the roots a bit, but if I have a big enough pot floating in there I don't think it would matter.
So can anyone think of any reason why this might work or have any sugestions to help it work?

as a dwc system it would work, perhaps the only issue might be the amount of sun they would receive along with reflection.
one could also build around the pond in a NFT style by adding a pump to move the pond water through the pvc piping in a continuous flow.
keep growing with great ideas!

Absolutely not. The medium would eventually harbor anaerobic bacteria and could eventually host flukes, costia, anchor worms etc.
Keep the leaves, plants and rocks for a water garden, not a fish pond.

Would there be a way to prevent the medium from doing this, or a medium that is resistant? If the plant is close enough to the waterfall couldn't I arrange it to where the water is flowing through the medium enough to prevent it from going stagnant?

You could put some net pots on the waterfall and arrange some flat rocks so that the aerated water flows across the bottom of the pot. Basically an nft system and aquaponics.

So my current plan is this then. Start some seeds in rockwool. Once the seeds have the second set of true leaves move them to net pots positioned on the waterfall. I shouldn't have to worry about sun burn with the trees growing over it. Time to get materials. Any sugestions for growing mediums?

I would suggest something heavy enough that the current of the waterfall doesn't move to pots, unless you plan on anchoring them down somehow.

I think it would be more hassle then help. I use the water from my fish tank when I do water changes and the plants love it. I would just put a few pots fairly close to the pond and just scoop and water the plants as needed or setup some type of "earth box" so you can fill the container once and not have to worry about it much.

My dogs dont swim usually. I found out that they will go out of their way to attack my pepper plants. So the koi pond wont work.

What you are wanting to do is an aquaponics raft system. There are many people doing this both recreational and commercial. They use styrofoam to support the plants suspended onto of the water. There are some specifics to make sure you keep the system balanced.

Back