• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

soil Hydro vS Soil

I am really thinnking about going hydro for the the start of next yrs grow season. I just wanted to get peoples input, advatages and disadvantages compared to each other. Off the top of my head I am pretty convinced that 9x's out of 10 hydro will generaly produce a healthier looking plant then soil. But perhaps hydro would be more of an expense or hassel, maybe not as mobile, more tricky to feed. Any imput and advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Advantages: If done right, bigger, faster growing crops.
Disadvantages: Certain conditions must be monitored and maintained, like pH, ppm, and keeping the whole thing clean, but it's not that hard to do.

Hydro can be complicated, but it doesn't have to be. Soil is a simpler solution that is tried and true, kinda like an auto-pilot, where with hydro, you take complete control over your plant's growth to get the most out of them.

Something like this is simple, yet effective. I've seen a few people use it around here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DWC-Bucket-Deep-Water-HYDROPONIC-GROW-SYSTEM-Bubbler-/330648331301?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfc2d2425

I am giving it a try this year also Meg, on a limited scale and so far I am seeing results, even within the first almost 2 weeks the plant is greener and bigger. And as far as Shigs link goes, yep, thats the one I got, then realised how easy it is to piece together. LOL

Disadvantages: Certain conditions must be monitored and maintained, like pH, ppm, and keeping the whole thing clean, but it's not that hard to do.

Hydro can be complicated, but it doesn't have to be. Soil is a simpler solution that is tried and true, kinda like an auto-pilot, where with hydro, you take complete control over your plant's growth to get the most out of them.

Something like this is simple, yet effective. I've seen a few people use it around here.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4cfc2d2425

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4cfc2d2425

Wow thats cheap! Thanks for the idea shigshwa! Now if I can undertsand this cloning stuff, I'd really be in good shape lol!

Wow thats cheap! Thanks for the idea shigshwa! Now if I can undertsand this cloning stuff, I'd really be in good shape lol!
The system is basically complete, minus instructions and nutrients, but it is easy to setup if you just look at it. Main thing is rinse the Hydroton to get the dust out of it so it doesnt clog up on the airstone. Easiest way I have found is put the Hydroton into a washing machine "sweater bag" and rinse it with a garden hose til the water runs clear. I have heard you are supposed to soak it overnight, but I dont know what the purpose of this is???

From what I have seen online (havent tried it myself yet) cloning with Hydro is easy, just need a cutting, some cloning gel/powder and some rockwool. The (Insert Illegal Substance Here) grower's video I saw on cloning, he went below a nod, just above the next lowest nod and cut at an angle. He then scrapped lightly on the stem, added some rooting agent (powder in this case) and then inserted the cutting into rockwool, then put them into a humidity dome til roots appeared. Seems simple enough, or am I over simplifying this?

The system is basically complete, minus instructions and nutrients, but it is easy to setup if you just look at it. Main thing is rinse the Hydroton to get the dust out of it so it doesnt clog up on the airstone. Easiest way I have found is put the Hydroton into a washing machine "sweater bag" and rinse it with a garden hose til the water runs clear. I have heard you are supposed to soak it overnight, but I dont know what the purpose of this is???

From what I have seen online (havent tried it myself yet) cloning with Hydro is easy, just need a cutting, some cloning gel/powder and some rockwool. The (Insert Illegal Substance Here) grower's video I saw on cloning, he went below a nod, just above the next lowest nod and cut at an angle. He then scrapped lightly on the stem, added some rooting agent (powder in this case) and then inserted the cutting into rockwool, then put them into a humidity dome til roots appeared. Seems simple enough, or am I over simplifying this?

Sounds good! Thanks for the info Matt!

I use rapid rooter plugs to clone. Cloning is very easy to do, once you have the clones in the plugs, all you have to do is keep it humid and moist until it roots!

Back