• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Hybrid questions

I'm a first year grower and like the idea of managing my own seeds from year to year. Retaining the best of the best seeds from generation to generation. Potentially playing around with crossing in the future.

I'm playing with a very basic selection this year. (jalapenos, bells, cayennes, habaneros, bananas, and shishitos sprinkled in last minute)

I've been bookmarking as many seed stores as i can get my hands on but i see the term "hybrid" thrown around quite a bit.

Correct me if i'm wrong but from what I understand it seems hybrid can mean very diff results. For example an F1 hybrid would mean that seed collecting for me would be useless. I'd have to rely on buying those seeds each season.

What should I be keeping my eyes peeled for? Do i need to look for seeds advertised as f7+ in order to ensure that I can successfully reuse seeds year to year? Are heirlooms my only option?

I'd mostly like to find varieties that produce larger pods that I can reuse and develop.

The term "F1" means basically the same as "hybrid". What you're looking for are "varieties" or "cultivars". "Heirloom" is just a loose term used for cultivars that have been around a long time. 

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     The term "F1" means basically the same as "hybrid". What you're looking for are "varieties" or "cultivars". "Heirloom" is just a loose term used for cultivars that have been around a long time. 

Gotcha. Kinda gathered that much but I'm seeing in many of the seed stores online that they don't mention what kind they are.

Is it safe to assume that seeds you buy and harvest will be stable from season to season unless noted otherwise?

seussiii said:

Gotcha. Kinda gathered that much but I'm seeing in many of the seed stores online that they don't mention what kind they are.

Is it safe to assume that seeds you buy and harvest will be stable from season to season unless noted otherwise?
IF you take care to isolate a few pods for seed each year...
and IF you're growing generally stable varieties

seussiii said:
 Do i need to look for seeds advertised as f7+ in order to ensure that I can successfully reuse seeds year to year?

Generally F8 is the accepted minimum and heirloom are FXX and higher.

true20seed20gen_zpsgzrybnoh.jpg

seussiii said:

I've usually found that dealers will mention if their seeds are F1s. It's a selling point for a value added product.

I would definitely buy seeds from recommended vendors in here or plan on getting burned. I didn't take to heart the posts I saw while lurking and bought my first "Heirloom Non GMO" seeds off two different Amazon sellers...

1. Thai Dragons - based on their wild variance in size and stem orientation, they were crossed with jalapenos.

2. Scotch Bonnets - turned out to be Mushroom Yellow annuums.

Nothing quite sucks like toiling and sweating for months in anticipation only to find you got screwed. Now I just buy from Judy at pepperlover.com and am a happy camper.

There is a book: Seed to Seed

I think you and most seed savers would be very happy with it.  The problem with the terms used is that the big companies use them in ways that bring the most profit.  In some instances, perfectly stable seeds are labeled hybrids to denote exclusivity and quality.  Lets face it, seedless watermelon are attractive when eating them at a church picnic where watermelon spitting seed battles with your kids are not advised.  To some folk, the word hybrid means new and special.  The folk in marketing use that to their advantage. Then there are terms like:Open Pollination, Open Pollinated, and similiar terms that always get mixed up.

I agree with previous comments about what the term hybrid means, but it isn't always used that way on labels.  Hell, talk to the pro GMO folk and they will tell you all seed is a hybrid.  Not saying it is true, but they love that argument.

MadDog said:

Nothing quite sucks like toiling and sweating for months in anticipation only to find you got screwed. Now I just buy from Judy at pepperlover.com and am a happy camper.

Nice, just added that one to my list. 

Thanks guys

Back