• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

outdoors Hunting Thread

stettoman said:
I hate when those Russian subs do that, but a Crazy Ivan is when they turn toward you, no?
No, In sub terms it is when you are following in their baffles so they can't pick you up on sonar and they suddenly turn so you are in their flanks and visible. I just like the term for this incident because I had a perfect quartering away shot and he suddenly turned at the shot and his rump aligned with his lungs at impact.

Mmmm... backstrap...

20161112_161058_zpsrvicxhc0.jpg

20161112_161336_zpsv9u5nxei.jpg

Turns out I wasn't the first one to shoot this doe...  Somebody shot it while it was running away from them. I didn't notice at first, but it had been shot on the inside of the thigh and had a broken femur. One of the hind quarters was all bloodshot and no good.

The extra meat would have been nice, but putting it out of it's misery was good too.

muskymojo said:
Turns out I wasn't the first one to shoot this doe...  Somebody shot it while it was running away from them. I didn't notice at first, but it had been shot on the inside of the thigh and had a broken femur. One of the hind quarters was all bloodshot and no good.

The extra meat would have been nice, but putting it out of it's misery was good too.
I've known a few who take low percentage shots and don't even bother to follow up. There is no honor in maiming an animal and being too lazy to at least check for a blood trail.....

Deer #1

Deer #2

Deer #3 from today. Probably my biggest fork so far, gotta be close to 15" inside the tips with good mass.

Cow moose from a draw tag

Making a good sized batch of sausage tomorrow! Gonna pack it all up in this beast of a machine. If you don't have a chamber vacuum sealer you need to get one. It blows a foodsaver vacuum sealer out of the water.

grantmichaels said:
dry-ice from grocery store, with frozen vac packed meat, in a cooler, in box ...
...then cross fingers, maybe get religion. Shipping meat can be real iffy, especially during holidays.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Congrats, wish I liked them. Maybe I'll give them one more try and smoke some. Off to the woods for the weekend myself but bambi affairs. 

Yeah, me too. Duck, pheasant, quail, dove, all good. Goose, especially the Canadas, have always been like liver flavored leather to me. Lots of goose hunters here, tried it done a few different ways, mostly varying sauces, but it's such a strange bird...

That's not saying I haven't given it a shot with the right recipe, but I always figured that good meat shouldn't require a "right" recipe.

Yeah I can pretty much shoot them every trip I am on just never had one I like therefore I do not waste time shooting them. 

Fingers crossed the wall hanger steps out in range this trip! If not, bring on all the small tender doe :) 

Back