• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

how to slow down growth?

I have a friend that runs a nursery do he starts thousands of peppers every year and he starts way early and when he wants to slow them down he lowers the temps. Cooler temps, slower growth.

That would mean keeping them in smaller pots if growing in pots. As well as less of what they need. ie. light, ferts,water etc. But you have to be careful with that! You cut back to much and they could die. You can also cut the plant back a little bit as well. You can top if you want them to be bushier instead of taller as well

65-70F is on the chilly side for peppers. The hotter ones like it 80-90F

I would avoid temps less then 65F though!

thanks mega hot

one more question
what about temps for seedlings?
2012-02-09160948.jpg

top has 80-83F
the one on the middle has 80-85F
and my germination container has 79-84f

r those ok?

thanks mega hot

one more question
what about temps for seedlings?
2012-02-09160948.jpg

top has 80-83F
the one on the middle has 80-85F
and my germination container has 79-84f

r those ok?

All those temps are fine. If you are mainly growing super hots the perfect temp is 83-85

i got ghost pepper on the top one 2 of them sprouted i planted them 1/31 it pop 2/5...and the rest is starting to poke there heads
and the one on the middle that i used peat pellets took a while planted 1/22 came out 2/3

I have a friend that runs a nursery do he starts thousands of peppers every year and he starts way early and when he wants to slow them down he lowers the temps. Cooler temps, slower growth.

+1
Temps are definitely one great way and the plant remains very healthy!!

Best way to slow a plant's growth is to cut back on the light. You won't have to fertilize as much either and your growth should slow right down. If you're just looking to bush it out try topping the plant once it gets a foot or two tall and you should see it bush out more. It'd also help to prune off some of the large, lower leaves and try to get more light into the main stem. This will encourage it to start new branches from the lower parts of the stem out and you'll get bushy growth that way too.

Less hours of daylight, smaller pot size, and temps no less than 55 degrees and no more then 70 degrees. Your plants will still be healthy and will stay smaller. I wouldn't want to do any of these things for too long though.

I keep my house at a consistent 65 in the winter time and I find that's sufficient to slow down growth a bit. You still need to make sure they're getting enough light so the new growth doesn't get leggy. Keeping them in a small pot also helps... my Mini mini is kept mini because I never potted it up since June of last year, it hasn't grown taller than a foot. Can't imagine how rootbound it is at this point...

Back