• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

nutrients How to apply Nutrients question

Hello Newbie question,

So I got this Roots Organic Uprising Bloom I picked up to help the bloom process of my peppers and tomatos.  Its organic dry so what i've been doing is mixing it with some foxfarm (2 tbps) and then putting that on top of the soil in the 5gal pots then watering.  Is there any advantage to dry nutes vs wet nutes?  Given the number of plants I have the thought of using a liquid one in my watering can (which is a 2 gal watering can) makes me feel like i'd have residual Veg Nutes in it on my blooming plants and residual bloom nutes on my veg plants.  

I guess my question is what is the best way to apply nutrients if you have a large number of plants to do it to.  My current thought is to add bloom & Veg nutes depending on the plant oncea month in top dressing in foxfarm oceanforrest soil.  Thoughts?  How should I be feeding my plants?

Tardis said:
Hello Newbie question,

So I got this Roots Organic Uprising Bloom I picked up to help the bloom process of my peppers and tomatos.  Its organic dry so what i've been doing is mixing it with some foxfarm (2 tbps) and then putting that on top of the soil in the 5gal pots then watering.  Is there any advantage to dry nutes vs wet nutes?  Given the number of plants I have the thought of using a liquid one in my watering can (which is a 2 gal watering can) makes me feel like i'd have residual Veg Nutes in it on my blooming plants and residual bloom nutes on my veg plants.  

I guess my question is what is the best way to apply nutrients if you have a large number of plants to do it to.  My current thought is to add bloom & Veg nutes depending on the plant oncea month in top dressing in foxfarm oceanforrest soil.  Thoughts?  How should I be feeding my plants?
  Wet is absorbed faster. Dry takes time to seep into the soil. In my experience that can be bad as some nutrients especially Calcium are not mobile. So by the time you see it, its too late for the portion of the plant showing it. Also with wet nutrients you can really tailor the feeding schedule and potency to your desire and level. Pay attention to your plant and it will tell you what it needs and when it needs it. The key with peppers is moderation! Peppers want what they want when they want it, but not too much. Peppers are some of the pickiest plants I have ever grown. Especially the Chinense species. Too much love and user attention and they will not produce or you can kill them. Not enough and you will end up doing the same. Light watering, light nutrients, quality medium that breathes well and you will do just fine.

its ok if the nutrients mix. you don't really need to have separate bloom and veg ferts..

time release pellets are nice because you can put them in the soilmix and forget about it for a while. liquid is nice because you control when the plant is getting nutes / ppm. 

As I know, liquid nutrients should not be used on dry soil. Don't know if is only a legend or not, but I always use a bit of water and only later or next day the liquid nutrient.

A straight-up novice question. I tried to google it but all I got were instructions.
*Deep breath* Can regular liguid nutrients be used as hydroponic nutrients?
I'm doing the cup meathod thing and I'm pouring nutrient(ed) water in the buttom cup. It's sucking it up as crazy and so far it's still alive.

I'm deeply sorry for trashing this lovely post but I didn't want to make a seperate and humiliating one.

Hydroponic nutrients can be used on soil with superb results. I would only go .25 strength at all times. Be careful not to over do it.
As far as organic nutrients in hydro, I'm not too sure. It may be too much work.

Back