misc How Stupid am I?

Well, I won't call you stupid or anything, but something ranking out at over 10 million Scovilles would be a bit pricier then $5.99. Hopefully I'm wrong, but for some reason I don't think I am.

I looked at the guy's Ebay store. I can almost guarantee his motis operandi is he buys in bulk from a mass production facility, puts it in a container, slaps his label on it, and sells it. That is all well and good, but I do believe most, if not all the producers on this forum believe in the personal touch to their sauces, as well as unique taste and varied heat levels, like myself. Factory generated mass production oleoresins is quite Orwellian in its' inception, and leaves out a very important quality, a personal touch. Not just a repackaging of a product that was probably meant to go to a mace factory. That being said, the stuff you're going to get may be hot, but making something hot takes no skill (or at least very little) to manufacture, it's the taste that counts. Even our ZERO sauce, which is quite hot, still has a unique taste given the corn based distillation liquids we use. The stuff you will receive will have a quite apparent chemical taste, as it's most likely made with the infamous ketones we've all come to hate the taste of. But again, for the cost, it may be worth it, but the taste will leave something to be desired. Okay, enough rambling...

Thanks for your input. I hope to soon be able to compare yours and his together. $10.00 didn't seem like too much of a risk, since I honestly don't have a clue. I tried Sudden Death on a steak last night, and liked it too. Or most likely, I'm taste dead!! Frank

tinner666 said:
Thanks for your input. I hope to soon be able to compare yours and his together. $10.00 didn't seem like too much of a risk, since I honestly don't have a clue. I tried Sudden Death on a steak last night, and liked it too. Or most likely, I'm taste dead!! Frank

Most likely. That's what my wife tells me too. But don't feel bad....you came to the right place...and you are not alone.. 😉

By the way, I believe I taste everything just fine. My pain receptors are fried....that's all.

staffing][quote name= said:
Yep yep, fried pain receptors, I will agree with that.

Me, I just like the pain. :lol:

Personally, I want to know how this guy knows what the SHUs are. Did he run an SHU test himself or did someone tell him that he's bought that SHU.

The more I learn about how the heat scales work, the more skeptical I am when I hear someone say, it's X SHUs.

oh... I'll hush now, I feel a blog coming on and I haven't time to write one. ;)

T

A blog coming on, Man, I guess they can really bind you up. :lol:

Anyway, as a stated, the guy probably buys from a mass production ficilty, who have had the liquids chromatographed, and if the stuff was to indeed go to a mace factory, it would have to be checked for heat strength.

Either that, or the guy is just full of crap, and is using the P.T. Barnum play book for sales.

Either way, I'm curious to see how hot the stuff is, and if it taste like the scrapings from a pharmaceutical drainage pipe.

DEFCON Creator said:
A blog coming on, Man, I guess they can really bind you up. :lol:

Anyway, as a stated, the guy probably buys from a mass production ficilty, who have had the liquids chromatographed, and if the stuff was to indeed go to a mace factory, it would have to be checked for heat strength.

Either that, or the guy is just full of crap, and is using the P.T. Barnum play book for sales.

Either way, I'm curious to see how hot the stuff is, and if it taste like the scrapings from a pharmaceutical drainage pipe.

Chances are that you are bang on. The guy is buying it in bulk... define "bulk" :shock: ... and packaging it for sale on the ebay market.

No doubt.

I've been in the hot sauce business only a short period of time when it comes to the grand scheme of things, but I'm super skeptical when it comes to SHUs these days. Especially since I just found out that one company who is using a 500,000 scovie rated extract for their sauces, and is only putting a drop per 5 oz bottle but is making their customers sign a waiver anyway. lol.

I've got a blog waiting to publish, it's all about SHUs and heat levels and how people are doing this, but the way that an SHU is calculated is positively stupid. It really is... And unless and until someone tells me that they did an HPLC that gave them X ppm of capsaicin, I have no idea whether or not to believe their SHUs. So... I err on the side of caution.

Not to mention the fact that I don't like to blindly trust people I don't know. How do I know whether that guy is trustworthy or not?

Sometimes, I think I know too much. Other times, maybe I think too much. lol.

Me... I wanna know the HPLC score and which lab ran it and what was used as its standards.

Is that too much to ask???

ok, for $5, probably, yes, but that's me.

Hey Tina when you say the producer has ya sign a waiver...is this a legal thing? I know that when I go to Quaker Steak and Lube and order their HOT wings they do the same thing ....always thought of it a s a novelty type of thing kinda to scare ya a lil bit...??

For the most part, it is a novelty thing. I've signed waivers for things where they weren't hot at all. The simple fact is that when people use an extract for which they had to sign a waiver they think they should make anyone who eats it sign a waiver too. Other times, they've used so much extract in their sauce that you really do need to sign a waiver to protect their butts for insurance purposes. So, sometimes it's a scam, other times it's for real. Just so you know the only reason anyone makes anyone sign waivers at all, is because apparently the adrenaline rush caused by pure capsaicin has been known to cause coronaries.

Fwiw, you've seen the warnings on extract bottles??? I've researched how they get this stuff out of the pepper and frankly, I don't like the idea of putting it into my mouth even in teensy tiny quantities (with the exception of John's) for obvious reasons. I'd rather drink nail polish remover, it's safer.

T

Awwww Tina, I'm flattered. :oops:

I will admit, most of the extracts, as stated before, have the nasty chemical taste. There is no skill in making something hot, and the waivers, however well written, are kind of a joke. We play paintball a lot, and almost all of the fields we use make you sign waivers. The have a snowballs chance in Hell of holding up in court if you get injured, as has been the fact why so many paintball fields have closed down over the years.

Enough of that, back to the sauces. Tina, we are coming close to our NEGATIVE 1 batch, my wife is on the verge of wanting to kill me, as our experiments finally took their toll on her olfactory nerves. She got a good whiff of the most recent prototype, and like your 13 year old salesperson, she thinks I'm a bad man. :D

DEFCON Creator said:
Awwww Tina, I'm flattered. ;)

I will admit, most of the extracts, as stated before, have the nasty chemical taste. There is no skill in making something hot, and the waivers, however well written, are kind of a joke. We play paintball a lot, and almost all of the fields we use make you sign waivers. The have a snowballs chance in Hell of holding up in court if you get injured, as has been the fact why so many paintball fields have closed down over the years.

Enough of that, back to the sauces. Tina, we are coming close to our NEGATIVE 1 batch, my wife is on the verge of wanting to kill me, as our experiments finally took their toll on her olfactory nerves. She got a good whiff of the most recent prototype, and like your 13 year old salesperson, she thinks I'm a bad man. :oops:

But you are a bad man... it's probably why I like ya so much. :D

Ask and ye shall receive. Straight from the horses mouth. $5.99 for a 1/32 ounce is not bad. that works out to $3066.00 a pound.

Enough with the dissin'! :twisted:

Product CAPSICUM OLEORESIN
Synonyms ---
CAS No. ---
UN No. ---
CLASS ---
Pkg. Gr. ---
Hazard ---

Specifications

Characteristics Units Specifications
Appearance -- Reddish viscous liquid
Capsaicin content %
3.3 (0.5 million SHU)
6.6 (1.0 million SHU)
10 (1.5 million SHU)
20 (3.0 million SHU)
30 (4.5 million SHU)
40 (6.0 million SHU)
50 (7.5 million SHU)
60 (9.0 million SHU)
70 (10.5 million SHU) :shock:
Solubility -- Soluble in oil
Residual solvent PPM 30 Max.
Yeast & Mould -- Absent
Pathogenic Micro-organisms and their toxins -- Absent
Homogeneity -- Ensured by uniform emulsification
Liquid pourable at °C 25
Colour value CU 3000 - 8000 (as per customer requirement)

Applications:-
Natural colouring agent in foods and pharmaceuticals; OTC drug, counter irritant in external analgesics

Packaging:-
20 Ltrs. HDPE pails sealed in Corrugated boxes or
200 Ltrs. HDPE drums or as per customer specification.

Labelling:-
Drum is sealed and labelled as per UN regulations with a label showing manufacturer's name & address, net wt., gross wt, pkg. No., Batch No. and Hazard label.

I can also get you some PURE CAPSICUM CRYSTAL, USP GRADE, VERY IMPERSONALLY MADE IN A LAB FOR A MERE $22,000.00 per pound. 10 pound minimum order. Any buyers?????????? How stupid is that? :halo:

Back