• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

How do I make powdered pepper?

I smoke all my peppers with hickory, dehydrate them with a dehydrator and use a Mortar and Pestle to grind them into fine powder. works great!

I dry mine in a dehydrator at 105F. Color is usually maintained. The key to very fine powder is the peppers have to be dry dry DRY before grinding them.

I've found they loose color when the heat is too high. When dried at 100-105F, color stayed true. 115F, the color turned dark.

That was using the numbers on the dial on the dehydrator, no clue as to the actual temp inside the dehydrator.

I know this is an old thread, but I can't believe no one has said this.. Do not grind your peppers in the house. The dust will cause everyone in the house to gag, choke, and tear up something fierce. It is a painful experience. Yes I know from experience.

Also I set my dehydrator to 160 degrees and did not discolor my red habaneros. dehydrated them in about five hours. :)

Back