misc Hot Sauce Reviews - to free, or not to free? that...is the question?

I figured since reviews can be considered a form of marketing, this would be the best forum for this. Please feel free to relocate as needed Boss, I just wanted to convey something that happened recently and get a little philosophical discussion going about it. Maybe some of the reviewers here can chime in with their thoughts too - I'm curious as to what everyone thinks.

My take as both a hot sauce maker and as a hot sauce consumer who has purchased dozens of kinds of hot sauce based on reviews is that reviews are both helpful to the consumer and are also a form of marketing to the product manufacturer.

Let's face it - it's hard to sell food to people who've not tasted it. As such, reviews are excellent for informing the general public what [some guy] though of your product, in this case, hot sauce. It's better than a testimonial that everyone thinks is BS anyway, and it can answer a lot of questions the reader/viewer has in a somewhat neutral but educated voice who has no stake in the outcome. It could be a great review or a terrible review or anything in between. The risk is entirely on the product producer who submitted their sauce for review.

So I guess the question for everyone here (sauce makers, reviewers, consumers) is this: Does it matter to you whether the sauce in the review was purchased by the reviewer, or provided to them for free?
I ask because for one I’m kinda new to this whole business (as a business), but also based on two experiences that I just had:
1. Reviewer who does food truck reviews thought he might have an angle to do a hot sauce review. Contacted me for info. I said “cool – I’ll send you a bottle” – his response was that “at [thatdudesfoodreviews.com] we purchase everything that we review. Otherwise it might run the risk of giving an implication that because we received free product, it might impact our perspective and influence us to give more favorable reviews than we would have ordinarily.”

2. (came in through my website contact-us mail)
“my man has a youtube channel an i want to do a review on your sauces ,will you send me a few bottles for free , free advertising ;),if so contact me thanks [name redacted].”

My take is that either should be fine.

When credibility matters, reviewers have their own skin in the game. Meaning, if they make an exaggeratedly good review, then that will only reflect poorly on them if the general public finds those reviews to be grossly inaccurate.
As such it shouldn’t matter whether the sauce was purchased independently or sent for free.
When it comes to the free sauce, as a hot sauce company I feel like a reviewer is doing work and taking time to produce a quality review – sending them the sauce for free isn’t very expensive and if they do like your product and produce a quality review it can and does generate sales. Likewise, if they don’t like the product it can equally hurt your sales potential for anyone who sees it. The risk is on the mfgr of the sauce, so why should the reviewer have to incur the expense? I’d think the “free sauce” would be the lone perk for sticking your neck out and writing something people may or may not appreciate.

That said, I also prefer to see people’s review style and samples of their work prior to blindly shipping out free sauce to anyone who emails me, as in the 2nd example above (I mean, seriously, right?). In case you’re wondering, my response to the above was an extremely polite explanation that “I’d want to see her man’s [sic] style of review and get a sense of their following to determine potential exposure, so please send me links to reviews and/or blog”. Of course my inner voice was saying “you’ve gotta be f-in with me here with that request lady!” - :rofl:

So yeah – my bottom line is that what matters more is the baseline credibility of the reviewer. If they’ve been reviewing for a while and present a well thought out and well supported review, I don’t particularly care where they got the sauce. The content is the most important thing, and credibility is easily established. For example, when I read Heataddicts review of tearjerker I immediately purchased some. While all people have varying tastes & tolerances, I'd say Jarret's review was within 5% of my experience - a high degree of accuracy. Likewise with JayT here at THP - prior to sending him sauce I checked out several of his reviews, and for sauces I'd had myself. Same thing - really accurate as compared to my own tastes. That, to me, is what establishes credibility in a review.

Anyway, it all got me to thinking about it and I thought I see how others felt.

What do you think – free Vs paid for sauce by reviewers – does it do anything to impact credibility of the reviewer or give you any less confidence in their reviews?

For me, everyone is a reviewer. It matters more about how well said reviewer is able to communicate.
I see soo many threads here, posted by a saucemaker, and sure enough, someone I have never heard of,
Posts those 3 leathal words... "need a reviewer?" AHHHHHHHHHHHH! (can I have some free sauce?)
Communicate your experience AT LEAST!

I see both of your experiences as being viable. The one who buys their sauces to review is respectful, and willing,
Which translates into not wanting to lay down cash for just ANY ol sauce.

Same for the guy that wants it for free. He doesn't want to lay down cash either.
No disrespect, but it takes a while for me to learn the 'baseline" [if you will] of a reviewer.
Otherwise, it sounds like advertising to me, or some sort of YouTube show.

Ultimately, as a saucemaker, you need to go with your gut. Have you seen enough reviews from 'this guy' to know how well he communicates flavor, texture, heat etc?

I'm a Gemini, I'll post another opinion tomorrow...

I love seeing different reviews of products. It is amazing what how different people's perspectives can be. For the most part, the main points are the same, but everyone who does reviews has different likes/dislikes and more importantly styles. For me, a review is more than just a point system. I like to think when I am reviewing that you are looking at, smelling, tasting, and experiencing the heat through my eyes, nose, and mouth. I try to bring you in with me while I try it. I also try to do my best to give you my opinions as to the best ways to use each sauce. For me, nearly every sauce has a good use, strengths, and weaknesses. I try to provide the consumer and the manufacturer with an honest and thorough evaluation. As to your main question, I have reviewed sauces that I have bought, and ones sent to me for free. I have also, in many cases, rebought sauces from manufacturers that sent me sauces for review. I find the "Please send me sauces for free and I well review them for you" to be in poor taste. You are also dead on with the credibility point. Anyone can be a reviewer/critic, but you have to earn credibility.

I would say that if you send someone your sauce for free, without them asking, it would be a bit more genuine. It kind of rubs me the wrong way that someone would approach you trying to get a free bottle of sauce based on a promise for a review.

At work, people send me things to demo all of the time. By them doing that, I feel no need to sugar coat it. When they call me back, I have no problem saying 'No, that router was crap'... [maybe with a little more tact ;) ]

Personally, I would have a bit more trouble trusting a review if I found out they approached the sauce maker asking for a free bottle. I could be way off base, but that is just my $0.02.

If Stephen King did reviews then hells yeah no questions needed he has proven to me he can bring me into his world. JayT IMO can do the same thing. I have read reviews that leave me wondering about all sorts of unspoken traits and qualities. Video reviews are even more so. Written can be reworked and revised where as a video review takes either good editing or spot on, from the door perfect presentation(you decide which is best for you)

I have sent free to people and was given the chance to "preview" the review. Still said go ahead and put it out there, but you learn who can present and who is still working on it.

Its a slippery slope Westin, while you want to be honest, I have a hard time saying "this sauce is crap" I mean this is sometimes someone's livelihood. I have, in a couple cases not posted a review of a sauce if I really hated it. Instead, I told them privately what I didn't like and offered to do a review for them in the future if they changed the formula. At the same time, I don't want it to be a lovefest of every sauce I review. I try to point out the good points, and what I feel are the weaknesses of every sauce so the maker can make changes if they see fit.

by the way - never got a response to my request for links in response to that chick's janky sounding email. Has there ever been a more obvious scam of someone looking for free sauce?

"hi, my man has a youtube channel" - yeah? Him and 2,000,000 other dudes. You'd think a link would help me to decide, huh?

"[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]an i want to do a review on your sauces ,will you send me a few bottles for free"[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] poor punctuation, grammar and hitting me up for "a few" bottles. Not one bottle. No no - a few bottles. And I'm expected to be so impressed by your command of the English language that I dive to my post office to mail you off "a few" bottles. [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]lol[/background]

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]''free advertising [/background] ;)" - I'm all for winky faces, dancing peppers and the like. But if you're trying to tell me I should send you "a few" bottles of sauce for free marketing, I don't really understand the meaning of the wink here. Are you telling me "I'm lying"? Because that's the message I'm reading there. And with no link or description of how many hits "her man's" youtube channel gets, what a great sell! :rofl:

It really cracked me up when I read this. And it takes a lot of willpower to respond respectfully. Thankfully I did not fall off the turnip truck yesterday. (it was a full two weeks ago, thank you) :dance:

I get requests for "free samplers" all the time and as of late, I've been extremely picky about who receives them. Just in the last couple of months I've received requests from several non-chilehead specific blog sites. Basically, they have been a bunch of stay-at-home-Moms (absolutely nothing wrong with that of course) that own a little blog and want free stuff. To give you an idea, the one site's previous review was on a laundry detergent. I politely told these folks that they are welcome to review my products after they have purchased them.

I've sent some products for review at some of the more well known chilehead review sites but still take those reviews with a grain of salt. These reviews should be taken as just another person's opinion and nothing more than that. Unfortunately, some of the reviewers make the review more about them and their personal preferences than reviewing the actual product itself. It is my humble opinion that if a person is going to be a "professional" reviewer of commercial products, then they need to realize just what kind of impact a less-than-professional review can have. Case and point, a well known review of some of our fruit-based sauces done on mac-n-cheese. This person then had the gall to complain that the flavor of the sauce wasn't good. If someone is going to review commercial products, they must show a certain degree of competency and knowledge. . .

I have only ever had one absolutely non-biased official review in this company's history and that was done by JayT.

A couple years ago I sent several bottles to a reviewer in the wintertime. The package was delivered by the postman in a garbage bag, the package had gotten frozen and all the bottles broke. So I sent out another batch of bottles. The reviewer was in the middle of moving or something and never got around to posting the reviews, or maybe the reviewer was being nice cuz he thought the sauces (all 5 of them) were crap. Oh well...

I've sent out TONS of sample bottles during the R&D phases of several different sauces asking for feedback. That input was used in the development of the sauces. Once I put a sauce out on the market, I'm usually pretty happy with it and am not looking for more input. So at that point, a review would be more for publicity than for input on the development of the sauce.

I've also received several requests recently from people with other food blogs looking for free sauces to review. As of yet, I haven't sent any free sauces to anyone. And there have been some people who have purchased sauces from our website and are posting their reviews on youtube channels.

For myself, it's expensive to send out all these products. Not just the shipping, but the actual cost of the product itself. The wintertime incident probably cost me ~$100, and I never even got a review out of it. From all the samples I sent out (for free!) during the development of different sauces, I've probably spent over $2,500. Some of this was way before I joined THP.

I think if a person purchases a sauce, they should be able to say what they think about the product. Hopefully, people watching those videos will realize that it is one person's opinion, be it a good review or a bad one. The quality of the reviewer is definitely to be considered if someone is thinking of sending a sauce to someone for review. As others have said, does the reviewer actually describe the flavors and heat or just say, "OMmnom nomnom ...this is the best sauce EVER!"

Lately, I have a personal gripe against reviewers posting reviews for products that are not commercially made and presenting the products as legal products. That's not to say a hobby saucer who is trying to get a sauce dialed in shouldn't ask for a review or input. But I think they should send out samples for free, with a questionairre if they really are serious about getting input, and then use the responses in the development of their product.

I think many hobby-product makers try to use a review to launch an illegal business. Maybe they don't realize they should be legal, maybe they are just trying to cut corners, I dunno, but I think reviewers who present a hobby product to their viewers as a legally made product are contributing to the issue.

When a product is getting close to coming out on the market, I can see a reviewer posting a review as long as they make it clear that "this product is in development and will be out on the market soon. When it does hit the market, BUY IT!"

And I've said it before, I have no problem purchasing hobby sauces, as long as I know it's a hobby sauce and it's not presented as a legal sauce.

So for me, at this point in time, no free sauces to reviewers.

just my opinion.....

OMG - she responded...rudely.

:rofl:
Youtube ,user name [redacted] , and no big deal , i know it not free to You, but would be for me if me or him is reviewing it an 6 others company's just responded and was a little nice then your email i found it kinda rude ,maybe you, or the response person working there , could work on the way yall respond back to people , thank you have a nice day , As what does how many hits do hos reviews get , i find that sentence, out of play , sure that was not a accident the way it was wrote , maybe get new writers.

ok so I checked out their channel - not one hot sauce review. not one.

So I wrote another forcibly polite response telling them I had no interest in them reviewing my hot sauce but they're welcome to purchase some, and that I found her comment about my being "rude" ironic in light of her harsh initial message to me. I let her know that no one wrote that message for me, I own the company. I said I already had some very credible reviewers who had my product in queue including JayT here at THP, Scott Roberts, Dave and Linda from The Hot Zone, and Larry Gaian of BBQ Grail, and so I had no need for more at this time. I couldn't resist saying "based on the atrocious grammar and spelling in your request, it made it an easy decision." (the way it was wrote? really?)At the end I recommended they purchase some LDHS and told her to have a nice day. haha

she wrote even more for our amusement:

Thanks any ways , and i never heard of them reviewers ,and your email was rude , not about the free sauce i understand it cost , again thanks anyways an best to luck for your company , and reviewers don't buy ,they get free products for testing them, at least all the ones i know do thats about 45 people , but if you got people buying to review your products thats just crazy , but hey money is money

Right - they haven't done a single sauce review yet they know 45 reviewers. And have never heard of the reviewers I mentioned. lmao

I'm just sharing because it all made me laugh - the audacity of some people is truly staggering.

So essentially it sounds like they're just spam-blasting every hot sauce company they can find asking for free sauce.

presumaby because they're super serious reviewers who can't spell, or use grammar and who've never done an actual review.

How rude of me to not send them sauce!

what a world.

Personally, it is never my expectation to get free sauces to use for reviews. If people offer, I will definitely take them up on it. But I won't go out of my way to get free sauce from anyone. Buying the sauces is perfectly fine with me.

I review sauces. 1 of the 15 or so I have videos of has been free, and it cam when I bought 30 bucks of other stuff.

I never expect free sauces. Recently, I have been offered a few, which I am extremely grateful for. Sauces are not cheap. Honestly, unless I start getting sauces from companies to review, I don't know how much longer I will be able to review on a regular basis.

It ends up being a question of return of investment. Will me doing a review net you profit enough to warrant sending me a bottle or two? Honestly, right now, I wouldn't send myself free sauces. I get about 100 views a video. That isn't a lot. Also, there is the chance you will get a bad review. The one free bottle I got, I didn't like. I said so in my video.

I do this because I love it, and I want others to be able to share my passion. Free sauces are not the goal, or the expectation.

Back