• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Hot Pepper... Light shock....

I have currently about 12 ghost peppers under T5 HO for 18 hours daily....
Can they go into shock if I drastically lower the amount of hours to say 12 or 10 hours ? or do I have to slowly lower the amount of light? I want to accommodate my peppers to my time zone of light ....

you can give them as little as 10 if you want...they might get restless for a couple of days, but they will adjust...and you probably won't have to water as much since you will be slowing down photosysthesis...

I've done worse. You should probably be giving the plants a bit more light hours per day than they would get if you were putting them outside. There's nothing wrong with growing your chilies at 18 hours a day until they go outside unless you're worried about your power bill. If you're trying to get them from starting light at 7pm to starting light at 7am however, that's a different story. You could adjust little by little for a few days or even just give them light straight through their usual night cycle and start the new night cycle when you get to it. Then just leave them growing the way they are.

I wouldn't play around too much with 12 hour light cycles indoors unless you're okay with slow growing plants or need to cut down on your power bill.

you can give them as little as 10 if you want...they might get restless for a couple of days, but they will adjust...and you probably won't have to water as much since you will be slowing down photosysthesis...
thanks for your input AJ.... my plants are growing so fast and big that they are goin to need to be transplanted into 5gals...
I have them in 6" pots right now... and my plans are to take them outdoors till mid march....
If I do pot them into 5 gals they will not fit in my 3x3 tent ....

I've done worse. You should probably be giving the plants a bit more light hours per day than they would get if you were putting them outside. There's nothing wrong with growing your chilies at 18 hours a day until they go outside unless you're worried about your power bill. If you're trying to get them from starting light at 7pm to starting light at 7am however, that's a different story. You could adjust little by little for a few days or even just give them light straight through their usual night cycle and start the new night cycle when you get to it. Then just leave them growing the way they are.

I wouldn't play around too much with 12 hour light cycles indoors unless you're okay with slow growing plants or need to cut down on your power bill.
cool... Thanks MRZ1988 .... great info..
what do you mean starting ligh at 7pm and then starting light at 7am ?? Went over my head sorry

No need to worry, they should be fine
glad to hear that...I was a bit concerned

Back