• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pickled Hot Dill Pickles

You all know that I don't consume the hot peppers but I like to use them (in moderate proportions!) in dishes. But I do love preserving dill pickles, probably because my son can eat a quart per day - if he is on a diet!

So I made some dill pickles and added some Bulgarian Carrot, long, slim cayenne and maybe another mild pepper to the mix. Just tasted them - they have been sitting for six weeks, and the pickles taste perfect. The heat doesn't hit for a few seconds and isn't that hot - I didn't even need to eat any ice cream. Since I have another crop of cukes coming on, I can see turning 1/4 or more of them into hot pickles might be a decent goal.

Mike

Yum. Bread and butter pickles are good hot too.

Vinegar is also a solvent for capsaicin.

If you pour off the vinegar and use new, you will have picante vinegar and less picante chile pickles.

willard3 said:
Vinegar is also a solvent for capsaicin.

If you pour off the vinegar and use new, you will have picante vinegar and less picante chile pickles.

Willard,

What effect would evaporation have on the vinegar and the capsaicin?

Mike

I'll make an educated guess that cap (it's an oil) will not evaporate much at atmospheric temp and pressure.

Water will evaporate in atmosphere from the vinegar and the vinegar should become more vinegary.

Back