smokers Horizontal smokers?

I just bought a horizontal smoker today and need advice on how to use it, never smoked anything but tobacco and weed before need help.....

Pepper Belly said:

very nice smoker

first of there are mods you can do to make it more effecient..

here check out this thread and it will tell you everything you need to know

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58778

or this one

http://ikinya.blogspot.com/2007/03/smoker-mods.html

browse around the first link and you will find everything you need to know about smoking meat

I'm with you Pepper Belly, the only horizontal smoking Ive done is smoking a cigarette or joint lying down in bed after sex....

Looks like a nice piece of cookery though!

Mine has a gauge (thermometer type) that shows when the heat in the smoker portion is ideal I did the break in trial run today without meat and it has a hard time making it to ideal.

I have a cheap horizontal smoker that I use mostly for smoking peppers. Personally I never trust the built in thermometers, and instead go with an instant read and/or remote thermometer

POTAWIE said:
I have a cheap horizontal smoker that I use mostly for smoking peppers. Personally I never trust the built in thermometers, and instead go with an instant read and/or remote thermometer

Yessir will do, we are going to get a decent meat thermometer as well. I understand it(the built in one) gives only a rough estimate of whether or not it is hot enough in the smoker.

What did you get the Wrangler? It's pretty simple man, the offset firebox is for the indirect heat.

thehotpepper.com said:
What did you get the Wrangler? It's pretty simple man, the offset firebox is for the indirect heat.

The company that made this one is called OUTDOOR, the version is called Artigas. I picked it up at the Praktiker in Maintal Germany for €103.-

I finally got it up to ideal Temp just have to continually add wood to my charcoal to keep the heat and the smoke up, I am doing my dry run right now to break it in.

I'll post pics later.

Cool. I have a new smoker too, I'll be posting pics soon.

That's a nice first smoker to have. I had one several years ago and loved it, but only after making several mods and getting an accurate thermometer for it. The built in one was up to 10 degrees off at times when it worked.

Pepper Belly said:
Help I cant get it hot enough meat on the grill right now. coals are hot vents are open but heat isnt getting to the meat.

how much charcoal are you starting with... the temperature should be around 225*F for bbq

your thermometer might not be working either

BamsBBQ said:
how much charcoal are you starting with... the temperature should be around 225*F for bbq

your thermometer might not be working either

Too late we took everything off and put it in the oven, after two hours being at sub heat. It could be because I added coals and they probably weren't adequately started yet.

Pepper Belly said:
Too late we took everything off and put it in the oven, after two hours being at sub heat. It could be because I added coals and they probably weren't adequately started yet.

How long did you wait after you lit the coals before you put the meat on? Most of the people around here with smokers warm 'em up at least 4 or 5 hours.

Sickmont said:
How long did you wait after you lit the coals before you put the meat on? Most of the people around here with smokers warm 'em up at least 4 or 5 hours.

it doesnt take 4-5 hours to warm up a smoker.lol

my big pit only takes 1 hour in cold temperatures..

for his smoker/bbq heres a general use guideline

-make a charcoal basket
-extend the smoke stack to grate level with a dryer pipe
-add a deflector plate by the opening
-google more mods

-start a full charcoal starter with charcoal and let it burn down until there is no more black showing. or try the minion method inside of the charcoal basket

let it warm up

the biggest thing is to keep playing with the smoker, nobody is going to get a perfect cook without little problems right away

BamsBBQ said:
it doesnt take 4-5 hours to warm up a smoker.lol

I was just saying thats about how long most of the folks down here do it.....of course, that doesn't mean it's right, either.

Back