• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

HELP..... problems with a 4 legged little critter

Howdy Chilliheads,

I have this pesky little mouse that seems to take great joy in trying to destroy my Pepper plants.
I grow in pots and he has been removing the soil from the containers. Seems to be going up the drainage holes in the bottom and removing most of the soil. The plant goes into shock and if you touch the top soil it all falls in because there is no soil left underneath.
I have a dog, so is very hard to use mouse traps. I am using some traps that are safe for dogs, but the mouse does not seem to want the cheese or bacon I have put in there.
I have been growing for years and never seen this before.
Has anyone ever seen this and are there any suggestions on removing this pesky critter?

Cheers,
Micca

Micca-

put your loaded mouse trap in a coffee can or similar and cut a hole in the coffee can lid. Cut the hole on the edge of the lid, maybe 3-4cm diameter. Enough for the mouse to get in but to keep the pup out. Position the can with the hole on the ground near where the critter is.

and for bait? PEANUT BUTTER!

We've used this set up in the house with two dogs and a cat. 'Course, the reason we had to use the set up in the first place was the cat brought it's dinner in the house to eat it and the mouse got away! Can't tell you how many times we've walked down the hall in the dark ...in bare feet...SQUISH/CRUNCH! EEEEEWWWWWW!!!!!!!

good luck!

That sounds like a great idea thanks. Peanut butter was going to be my next thing to entice him. I was sure that was what my Dad used to use to catch em.

Micca

Hi Micca, I breed parrots and this is the best mouse trap I have come across, you can get them in smaller sizes or even make your own,
the price on the web site is a bit steep but they can be found alot cheaper, usually hardware stores, petshops, stock feed stores or bird stores will stock them..
you put food in them and the mouse or rat climbs in and can't get out, and most times you will catch more than one.
here is a web site showing a pic of one. they call it "AVIARY RAT TRAP TOP HOLE 30CM" its the 4th pic up from the bottom of the page
http://www.duralstockfeeds.com.au/category29_1.htm

Those traps look interesting thanks, definitely a high price though. Might try and make one myself?
The main problem is that he seems to bypass the traps and attack the pots sitting right next to them. Mmmmm, maybe need to go stealth and get a bb gun and night goggles, lol.

Micca

Yeah the sticky paper is cool so i heard, you can catch them still alive and then "teach them a lesson" so to speak! :hell: I like firing them outta my potato cannon hahahahahah

Mmmmm sticky paper, now that brings some interesting pictures into my head!
And he seems to have a favourite corner too......

Micca

I've always had my best luck with setting the traps and channeling them through something. Mice like to stick to areas that have easy access to cover. They don't really like to venture out into the open unless they have some sort of escape route and even then it's usually only a little bit out into the open. I don't use bait because doing it this way forces them to go over the trap or find another route. In fact, last year I managed to catch 7 mice one week taking care of the problem. Place the traps in the right locations and you can take care of them pretty quickly.

sticky paper usually means dealing with a live animal............sorry........not for me!

Others can do that with no problems but not me! just today, we had a trap in the basement that killed a mouse. Usually I can take care of the dead critter, but today, I just couldn't handle it. Hubby had to take care of the disposal and resetting the trap. And like the trap, you have to position the sticky tray so your dog doesn't get ahold of it and then jump into bed with you trailing a stick paper with a live mouse on it!

Micca, since you haven't mentioned it, I'm assuming that poison baits are NOT in your arsenal? It would be bad to have poison baits with a dog around.

salsalady

salsalady said:
Micca, since you haven't mentioned it, I'm assuming that poison baits are NOT in your arsenal? It would be bad to have poison baits with a dog around.

salsalady

Yeah it is pretty hard. I was told to maybe put some under a milk crate and weigh it down so she can't get to it.

Hey Blister I have just put the traps under some shelves etc. Hope that helps and cheers for the tip.

Here is a picture of the traps I am using
11506k.jpg

I was hoping the mouse would think it was a nice dark place.

Micca

you might try grinding up some of the hottest peppers you have or you can get then strowing the area he is running with the fine powder...he gets it on his whiskers, feet, and nose and I bet you a dollar he doesn't like it...

Naga Jolokia Addict said:
Hve you thought of using Naga Jolokia powder laced dough balls near your plants?

Yeah, but then I would be eating them:P

AlabamaJack said:
you might try grinding up some of the hottest peppers you have or you can get then strowing the area he is running with the fine powder...he gets it on his whiskers, feet, and nose and I bet you a dollar he doesn't like it...

Now that would be some hot mouse! Speedy Gonzalas on Naga Powder...............

Micca

no problem Micca. We also have some of the Tin Cat traps which seem to do alright. As they walk in they push down on a little lever that locks them in after they've entered. It's not bad but you do have to deal with getting them out of there alive after you catch them. Usually I just flush them, but I have had one jump over the bowl and get away while trying to dispose of it. Like salsalady said, it's not for everyone. Doesn't bother me one bit though :)

Salsalady has it dead on with the peanut butter baited traps in a Coffee can. That is what I have always used when pets are a problem around traps. It works great. Just don't forget to check your traps daily, especially if you live some place hot like I do, otherwise... Yeah, it's not pleasant.

I had trouble with squirrels digging up tomato plants in a pot on my deck. I read somewhere that the urine of a carnivore would keep away the squirrels (becuase thats how they mark territory?) I was potty training my son at the time- I figured it was easier to collect his urine than the dogs- and didnt really want to teach the dog to "water" my tomatoes.....and that kept the squirrels away.
a few years later, I had indoor plants and the cats decided the potted plants were better for their business than the litter box... I bought cayenne pepper and sprinkled it on the top of the soil around the plants. That was spectacular to watch- they never got near my potted plants again.

If you do decide you need to kill the critter instead of just keep it away- peanut butter was the only thing that caught them in the restaurant in which I worked. Till the boss figured out where they were coming in, and put poison in the garage.

I really loathe dealing with dead bodies, and have no desire to deal with a live rodent either- so I use the "natural deterrents".

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm going to try some peanut butter when I get home from work today and hopefully......
The hard part is remembering where the 8 odd traps are in amongst around a 100 Pepper plants:)

Micca

I have to share this story~

a few years ago, hubby's younger brother was living with us for about 3 summers. We found evidence of a mouse in the basement where Bro slept. So...being the good homeowners that we are, I bought a set of traditional wire mouse traps. Y'all know the ones I'm talking about!

Well, littleBro had never been schooled in the ways of the mouse trap!

I said I'd set the trap and littleBro went down to the basement to help me. We looked around, identified the "traffic patterns" and got ready to set the traps.

littleBro had never set a trap before, so I showed him how you put the PB on the trip lever, pull the bracket back and lock it and when the critter steps on the trigger...

littleBro was really impressed! And as I can still remember... he said..(poining with index finger)...."So the mouse tries to get to the bait and he steps...HERE......" SNAP!!!!!!!!!!!!

-picture hand flinging up and down trying to get rid of sprung mouse trap-------------------------OMG!!!!!!

roflmao!

I Know, I'm one of those NotNice people who laugh when another is hurt....but DARN!!!!!!!!!! That is still one of the funniest things I've EVER seen!

ps~littleBro was about 28 at that time!

Back