• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help me please!!

Hey guys, i've had a catastrophic event happen... a couple days ago my dog got at most of my seedlings.. today she got the rest! AAAAGH! I have two questions;

1. in your opinion what is the fastest growing chilli? (would like to get some chillies before its too late)

2. Does anyone have a good way to stop my 4 legged friend from eating my damn chillies! (besides the obvious fencing, and isolation)

Can someone please help me?

geez....sorry to hear that...

annuums grow quite quickly so I would recommend getting a Super Chili, Super Cayenne II hybrid or something of the like...

as far as I know, training is the only way to stop the pooch...

on the training subject... i'm on that, but half the time it seems like she's just doing it to piss me off haha. thanks for the info, at least i have a starting point :)

That was my next port of call, just don't have the same excitement from store bought plants. but, it's my best bet i guess.

Grimus said:
Hey guys, i've had a catastrophic event happen... a couple days ago my dog got at most of my seedlings.. today she got the rest! AAAAGH! I have two questions;

1. in your opinion what is the fastest growing chilli? (would like to get some chillies before its too late)

2. Does anyone have a good way to stop my 4 legged friend from eating my damn chillies! (besides the obvious fencing, and isolation)

Can someone please help me?

Get rid of the dog. ;)

paulky_2000 said:
Get rid of the dog. ;)
haha!

Grimus, I too have a four legged pepper killer. Two years ago my new young labrador ate all my plant markers for every variety so I had to throw them out and start over to keep the identification as I'm horrible at identifying the plants until its about time for pods. Then the next year he got into tearing out the seedlings when they'd grow out so again I had to start new ones. I think he didn't like the plants because I was spending so much time babying them instead of him. So I had to get down to business and train him to stay away from my plants. Now he knows to stay away from them and I always make sure to give him attention just after working with them so he knows he's doing well.
Of course I still have a major problem with both of my labs staying out of my garden when they see tomatoes hanging on the vines! They sneak in and eat them every chance they get ripe or not! But I'm fine with that as I don't even eat them really, I just grow them for friends and the dogs :)

Grimus said:
stop my 4 legged friend from eating my damn chillies! (besides the obvious fencing, and isolation)

or you could fence off your chilli's and stop your dog getting at them that way.

i dont know what situation your in regards to your seedlings, but if there in a big tray, place it higher away from the dog, or with a cover on them.
If the're abit older i like to get a empty 2ltr clear plastic bottle, cut the bottom off, unscrew the lid and put it around the seedling till it gets older. Not sure how well that would stop a determined dog but its worth a shot

the idea of a clear plastic container is great...protection and mini-environment all in one....

Sorry about the plants. That truly does suck. Maybe if he tried the fruit of the plant, he would stay away. A little cruel I know, but my Dad used tobasco to teach our dogs to stop biting shoes when I was growing up. Worked the first time. Using something stronger would be too cruel though.

jacob

I definitely feel for you. all the work and excitement that goes into this to have them destroyed is a bummer. seclusion seems like your main hope. your dog won't even know they're there.

If for some reason you're finding it hard to do that then maybe follow up on jjs7741's idea and spray the plants with a light cayenne or tobasco sauce or something.

Pepp3rFreak said:
haha!

Grimus, I too have a four legged pepper killer. Two years ago my new young labrador ate all my plant markers for every variety so I had to throw them out and start over to keep the identification as I'm horrible at identifying the plants until its about time for pods. Then the next year he got into tearing out the seedlings when they'd grow out so again I had to start new ones. I think he didn't like the plants because I was spending so much time babying them instead of him. So I had to get down to business and train him to stay away from my plants. Now he knows to stay away from them and I always make sure to give him attention just after working with them so he knows he's doing well.
Of course I still have a major problem with both of my labs staying out of my garden when they see tomatoes hanging on the vines! They sneak in and eat them every chance they get ripe or not! But I'm fine with that as I don't even eat them really, I just grow them for friends and the dogs :)

It just so happens that she is a Lab X Weimeraner, so maybe i do need to give her some more attention after my little babies. Thanks for that pepp3rfreak :)

bennoz said:
or you could fence off your chilli's and stop your dog getting at them that way.

i dont know what situation your in regards to your seedlings, but if there in a big tray, place it higher away from the dog, or with a cover on them.
If the're abit older i like to get a empty 2ltr clear plastic bottle, cut the bottom off, unscrew the lid and put it around the seedling till it gets older. Not sure how well that would stop a determined dog but its worth a shot

I had them in 4" pots, so that could be great to help protect them! Thanks heaps for that.

thanks a lot guys, i'll take on board all the points that you have given me. the fence will be first to go up, and some loving for my dog is well needed. once again guys, thanks :)

I have a similar problem, but instead of a plant-munching dog, I got plant-munching possums hanging around. My initial plan was to build some big-ass cages outta chicken wire and what-not, but instead will try a regular spraying of a capsaicin, citronella and garlic mix first. Supposedly the bad (and hot) taste will eventually deter the little buggers. We'll see what happens....

Grimus said:
Sounds like a pretty nasty mix, can ya let me know how ya get on?

Sure thing. I'm going down to the garden shop today to get a bottle. I hope it's not too nasty though..! I just want to deter them, not seriously hurt them! If it works, I will start mixing my own to save a buck or two. :fingers-crossed:

Of course, seeing as the possums don't attack every night, it will probably be a few days before I can determine whether the spray is effective or not...

Back