• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

soil Help me build my container soil

Hello-

Not much choice locally in the way of soil, and since this is my first year, I don't have a compost bin yet (that will be in place in time for next year's planting season).

Lowe's has ONLY miracle grow stuff ... and stuff from company from here in Oklahoma. I am growing organic, so I will use the soil from Green Country Soil.

Here's their website.
http://greencountrysoil.com/soil.cfm

I was leaning toward two or three parts of their potting soil mix (stated ingredients: compost, sand and perlite) and one part manure (stated ingredients: barnyard manure).

They also have cotton burr compost and mushroom compost on this page. I have not seen either of those mentioned in this forum since I've been here.
http://greencountrysoil.com/professionalmix.cfm

They also have a topsoil listed on the soil page as well, but since I'm container gardening, I wasn't too sure how great it would be.

There was an open bag of the potting soil and the top soil, and it had rained earlier in the day, so I was able to get a feel for it when it was completely soaked. The potting soil seemed a tad dense, but keep in mind, it was soaked in a bag with no drainage. The top soil was very clay-like.

All bags are sold in 40 pounds and were between $2-3 per bag.

There also is peat moss available to me as well, so I could also mix some of that in.

Thanks in advance for everyone's thoughts.

I use a mix of 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 miracle grow GARDEN soil, and 1/3 perlite and have had wonderful results. It stays light, yet damp, but not overly wet. The miracle grow garden soil has just enough compost and nutrients without over doing it. I just use 1/2 strength miracle grow water soluable ferts. in it every 10 to 14 days and have no complaints. I also use some Alaska fish ferts. in it every other week also. Just my 2 cents!

Charles

I had some issues with mushroom compost in containers. Probably used too mush andd mixed with the peat it was heavy and hard. Go with more manure and skip the shroom stuff imo.

wish they were here on the Island their stuff looks good. as what millworkman said go with manure and compost, if you can get it mix in a little vermiculite or per-lite
for good drainage.

Check out the sticky on soil located at the top of the growing hot peppers section here. It has plenty of info on soil and mixes of soils.

Maligator said:
Check out the sticky on soil located at the top of the growing hot peppers section here. It has plenty of info on soil and mixes of soils.

That was the first place I looked. :). I was just wanting peoples' opinion from what's available to me based on my first post.

Like Millworkman Mushroom compost was a strike out as well.

I have nurseries and home stores all around me and i still use the same old cheap mix. I use 50% cheap bagged top soil, 25% bagged cow manure, and 25% pine fines (natures helper). I sift the mix through a 3/8" piece of fence to get the garbage out. Then I take the dirt and mix it 50-50 with OilDri. It works like a charm and it never compacts!!

treemanjohn said:
Like Millworkman Mushroom compost was a strike out as well.

I have nurseries and home stores all around me and i still use the same old cheap mix. I use 50% cheap bagged top soil, 25% bagged cow manure, and 25% pine fines (natures helper). I sift the mix through a 3/8" piece of fence to get the garbage out. Then I take the dirt and mix it 50-50 with OilDri. It works like a charm and it never compacts!!

Is that the clay for soaking up oil? Or diatomacious earth?

I use mushroom compost all the time, just make sure your source isn't loaded with pesticides. Worm compost and food scrap compost as well as aged manure are also great.

I like to use a mix of: Peat, vermiculite, perlite and/or sand, compost/manure, dolomitic lime, as well as old soil from last year's pots

AjarnV said:
Is that the clay for soaking up oil? Or diatomacious earth?

It's the clay for oil spills. the "OilDri" brand wont turn to mud once exposed to water. To test this soak it in water for a few days and make sure it doesn't break down. Works great!

Got two 40-pound bags of the potting soil, one 40-pound bag of the manure, one 40-pound bag of the peat moss and a bag of vermiculite. Going to mix it up and I'll see how good it is. Call me crazy, but the potting soil smells great.

Back