• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Help ID please

I got these as a kit from www.ghostchilipeppers.com. There supposed to be Bhut Jolokia. Now that they are ripening, I'm beginning to wonder. Three flowers per node. New growth has purplish stems. Can anyone tell me if these are really Bhuts?

[/img]

Thanks in advance to all you chiliheads.

Looks very much like bhut jolokia, Could be a close Naga relative.

They seem like a very dodgy outfit. Did your kit come in a can?

How many seeds did you get, and how many germinated?

Yeah, kit in a can. I figured some of you would have a laugh at that. There were 5-6 sprouts initially in a cluster. One became dominant and the remaining sprouts just kind of quit growing. When the one sprout became about 8" tall I repotted. I guess I'm a sucker for buying it. But, had I not bought it, I would have not gotten interested in growing my own. Now I'm kind of infatuated with it. Thanks to Romy6 (Jamie) I have a nice variety of seeds and a baggie full of fresh pods as well. Thanks again, dude.

Probably still too early to tell, but the second pic "may" show signs of a cross.

Post up some more pics in a few weeks as some of us were wondering about the whole Bhut-in-a-can thing.

better a bhut-in-a-can then a can-in-your-bhut. Some of us have definitely wondered how they would work. We like pics and Guinea Pigs :D

Hey Al. I got your back. I was the dumb ass who bought the plants from Hirts Garden a while back. Still these mistakes have got us both hooked on growing chili's and we both have made a new friend! :beer:

Bhut in a can ...
  • The only FLAMING pepper you can grow yourself.
  • Use in your garden to get rid of troublesome insects and animals.
  • Spouts appear in days! Full plants in 3-4 weeks
How could you go wrong for only $15.95 for seeds AND a can? :P

looks like a hybrid. but its too early to tell from a couple little pods. See how the next few grow out. Photo 2 pepper looks too large at the top near the stem to be a bhut

Here are a couple of new pics of the "Bhuts-in-a-can" ripening. They are going straight from green to a brownish-red. I'm really curious now.

How long do Bhuts normally take to go from green to completely ripe?

So I harvested some ripe pods from the Bhut-in-a-can project and I'm convinced that are crossed with something else. Whether the seeds that come in the Bhut in-a-can are hybrids or my flowers crossed with someone else in the neighborhood's plants the pods I ended up with were something other than Bhut Jolokia's. A chilihead neighbor of mine and I split one and we were both expecting something much hotter. They had plenty of heat but no real pain to speak of. Mostly mouth burn but not a lot of throat burn. The flavor was was actually pretty good for 10 or 15 seconds, after which, heat was all I could taste for about 10-15 minutes. And then it faded almost as quickly as it came on.

I will isolate some of the flowers and manually pollinate them just to be sure I'm not getting crossed with something else in the area. So here are the pics of the first pods from the Bhut-in-a-can.

Stay tuned for updates on the isolation fruits. The Bhut-in-a-can saga continues..........

dont feel bad about your purchase. at last ya grew something. i was going to buy this too at a website called think geek it was 5 bucks plus shipping. my seeds from an ebay seller didnt produce anything. but i got some seeds from forum members and now am growing some stuff. keep us posted

I will isolate some of the flowers and manually pollinate them just to be sure I'm not getting crossed with something else in the area. So here are the pics of the first pods from the Bhut-in-a-can.
It doesn't work like that. Cross polination only affects the seeds in your pods, ie the plant that you'll grow next from the seeds with this plant.

The chillies that this plant is making is affected by the pod/seed it grew from, not any cross pollination now.

Back