• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

HELP Exploding can of FIXAFLAT

I had 2 cans of FIXAFLAT spontaneously explode today. I was driving from southern New Mexico to Dallas, hauling a cargo trailer. I've had these 2 cans of FIXAFLAT for several years now. They've been neatly tucked away in my cargo trailer. They've endured extreme cold(Minnesota in the winter) and extreme heat(Central CA and Southern New Mexico in the summer). They've traveled at sea level, and travelled through higher elevations like 9000+ feet. Never any problems. Yesterday, I drove from Lubbock, TX to Dallas, TX. When I arrived and opened my cargo trailer, the cans were right where they've always been, and EVERYTHING inside the cargo trailer is covered in this stuff. It stinks, and it won't wash off. They literally spontaneously exploded. There was no change in atmospheric pressure, and the temperature was pretty consistant in the mid 60's. Does anyone know how to remove this STICKY SH%@, and it's smell?!

dang man...sorry to hear of your trouble...I don't ever use it and after reading the reviews on it, probably never will...

here is a link to the reviews...hope you can stop the corrosive nature of the stuff in your trailer...check out the third review...

http://autorepair.about.com/gi/rating/reviews.htm?bvv=&bvid=6773Fec0006V&u=/od/quicktips/fr/fixaflat_review.htm&t=Flat Tire Repair Roadside

DANGER, WILL ROBINSON, DANGER!

whoa, had a flashback.

here, I am reading my can of Gunk, Puncture Seal. There are scores of cautions on the can, including, don't breath it, touch it or taste it and wants one to wear rubber gloves, also not to mix it with any other products as it may produce dangerous fumes. The can contains 1,1,2,2-tetrafluoroethane, 2-butoxyethanol and ethylene glycol - I think I spelt everything correctly, its tiny print..... really tiny print.... and it could be the french text I'm reading(everything sold in Canada has to have both english and french on the label) - damn eyes don't work like they use to. It does say if you get it one your skin or in your eyes to rinse well with water. I'm not a chemist, that's why God made Google, so we can all be instant experts at subjects we know nothing about.

hmmmmm, let me get my can of goo-gone........hmmmm, it too may be harmful if swallowed, inhaled or touched. It contains xylene, so I don't know if mixed with the above if you are going to create a spontaneous combustion! Its can says it damages many plastics and some automotive paints and don't apply it directly on carpet as it will damage the latex backing.

...man, you could be digging yourself into a very deep hole - glad i'm not you(just kidding) - I would put on a NIOSH approved respirator, rubber gloves and safety googles (no, I am not that smart - I am reading from the can) pull everything out of your trailer and start by hosing everything done with cold water. Then after everything is soaked, I would put some dishsoap into a bucket and mix with a broom, then scrub everything down with the broom.

Goo Gone, Strong degreasers, and heck even Easy Off.

But yes do wear gloves when handling any of those products and especially given what your cleaning.

I've used Goo Gone to clean a lot of things that wouldn't come off otherwise. But I never use it at home. Easy off can take care of just about anything too (even though that's not a reccomended use.. I do it anyway)

Keep in mind, the idea of fix-a-flat it to NOT be broken down by anything.. Which is why it ruins the quality of your tires over time. You may wanna try getting it pretty hot and see if it'll loosen any.

hmmmmm, let me get my can of goo-gone........hmmmm, it too may be harmful if swallowed, inhaled or touched. It contains xylene, so I don't know if mixed with the above if you are going to create a spontaneous combustion! Its can says it damages many plastics and some automotive paints and don't apply it directly on carpet as it will damage the latex backing.
I wonder if we're actually talking about the same product - I've never seen Goo Gone in a can, but just a spray bottle. And the bottle I have doesn't say anything about damaging plastics or automotive paints, but does indicate it is good for carpet. Sounds like I need to make a trip to the hardware store and do some comparisons again.

But regardless, I completely agree with taking safety measures when trying to mix any chemical substances - mask even if you're outside, and definitely gloves. Given the nature of FixAFlat, I'd be surprised if soap & water (or detergent) did anything other than "clean" the surface.

That sux! Good info AJ... never use this as there is a plug kit in every glovebox and a well taken care of spare tire in each car.

The 2 cans are still encased in their protective plastic wrapping, and the caps are still in place. They literally spontaneously exploded, saturating everything inside the cargo trailer, including the cargo trailer. I just arrived in Dallas and am staying at an extended stay hotel. So, I don't have the luxury on washing everything endlessly, and airing everything out until it doesn't smell anymore. For what it's worth, after I got some on my hands last night, I washed them 6 times.I work in surgery, and know how to scrub my hands. I washed my hands another 3 times this morning, and showered, and they still smell like F.A.F. solvent.

I don't have insurance on my stuff, because insurance companies won't touch me because I travel so much. I wrote to the company that makes this stuff, and they offered to reimburse me for the 2 cans.woohoo

Back