• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Heat pad for Germinating

Where do I find one, how much, how big? I realized I might have wasted about 40+ seeds by not germinating properly. I'm pretty pissed about it but I have to learn from my mistakes. That being said, I need some help in regards to this process.. Thanks!

seeds don't die as easily as we think. got a hot water heater. Sit on there or some other object that lets off heat. I use a gas heater that we use for the basement.

as red says everyone has them even hd and lowes i think they call then little greenhouse starter kits, comes with tray and clear cover for seed tray and heater, works great have used one for the last 10 years,along with a thermostst. pepper seed like 85 d. to germinate.

Amazon had the best prices that I found. I bought a flat size one for like $20 and then bought a 4 foot by 4 foot on there for about $50

Oh..and just another technique I use..and quite honestly, its by FAR the best method I have found.

I put my seeds in cups like many folks on here. Then, I put them in the oven and turn the oven light on (no, I don't turn the OVEN on :) )
This keeps the temp right around 85 degrees and things germinate like mad

Example: I planted cayenne the other day. Had on a heat mat for a week now, nothing. Those seeds typically germinate quickly. Well, yesterday, I moved them all into the oven and today I had 5 germinated and had about 1/4" root already.

Only other advice..put a sticky note on the button or dial that turns the oven on that says "SEEDS" just so you don't accidentally forget about them and turn the oven on preheat :) that my friend will cook your seeds faster than you can say SOB!

Where do I find one, how much, how big? I realized I might have wasted about 40+ seeds by not germinating properly. I'm pretty pissed about it but I have to learn from my mistakes. That being said, I need some help in regards to this process.. Thanks!

I purchased a heater as part of a Jiffy starter kit. Lowes or HD. The mat is the same size as the 72 plant starter kit. I've found it doesn't heat the corners very well. I set mine on top of aluminum foil and a towel. Seems to work pretty good. I think the kit was about $35USD.

Amazon had the best prices that I found. I bought a flat size one for like $20 and then bought a 4 foot by 4 foot on there for about $50

Oh..and just another technique I use..and quite honestly, its by FAR the best method I have found.

I put my seeds in cups like many folks on here. Then, I put them in the oven and turn the oven light on (no, I don't turn the OVEN on :) )
This keeps the temp right around 85 degrees and things germinate like mad

Example: I planted cayenne the other day. Had on a heat mat for a week now, nothing. Those seeds typically germinate quickly. Well, yesterday, I moved them all into the oven and today I had 5 germinated and had about 1/4" root already.

Only other advice..put a sticky note on the button or dial that turns the oven on that says "SEEDS" just so you don't accidentally forget about them and turn the oven on preheat :) that my friend will cook your seeds faster than you can say SOB!

You are my Guru buddy. I used Yogurt maker for germination and it did the trick in 72 hours.

But since my son returned it to "BABY'SRUS", i had a lot of failures. Now I will use the trick shown by you and report back ASAP.

NJA

But I must first find out if my oven has lights on facility.

You are my Guru buddy. I used Yogurt maker for germination and it did the trick in 72 hours.

But since my son returned it to "BABY'SRUS", i had a lot of failures. Now I will use the trick shown by you and report back ASAP.

NJA

But I must first find out if my oven has lights on facility.

Well I got the cup idea on here..I use to use zip locks. Cups are WAY better :)
The oven I only did a starting a few years back when I started doing my own plants from seed. I had no other way of keeping them warm so I did in the oven as a test. Just so happens it was like the perfect temp for peppers. And unlike heat mats, it doesn't fluctuate with ambient temperature..its a constant 85 degrees in there. I have yet to find a faster germination method..im sure there is one..just aint found it :)
By the way naga, I also put all the cups on a cookie sheet. Not that this helps germination but it keeps the cups from tipping in the oven racks.

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-CK64050-Germination-Station-Heat/dp/B000HHO1RO/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1300845873&sr=8-8
http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MTPRTC-Digital-Thermostat-Heat/dp/B000NZZG3S/ref=pd_sim_ol_1

This is the setup I used and it was worry free. The only thing I had to do after setting the temp to 84F was keep the soil moist and watch for babies to pop. Once there was a clear majority of sprouted seeds I took the lid off and hit 'em with light while hoping for the more stubborn chinenses to pop. I should have moved the sprouted packs to another site for lighting, but I was short on space. But even done improperly I got between 75-80% germination.

This setup will net you a 72 plant tray, if you want to do more, you can buy larger mats that will still work with the above themostat and just use multiple germination chambers.

Planters pride heated greenhouse kit at Menards. I couldn't find one anywhere and finally stumbled across one there. Came with heating mat and plastic tray for 72 plants. Buy some seed starter and your good to go. It was around $20-$25. I've seen the mats themselves go for more than that online. Hope that helps.

Your seeds should still germinate at room temperature, they'll just do it more slowly and possibly at a lower %. It's highly doubtful that you've wasted any seeds by not using a heat mat. How long has it been since you planted them?

Back