• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Healthy recipes? Fish recipes?

AlabamaJack said:
yup...thats it...it is on the "weight watchers" list of good foods for you from what the wife says...

I heard the same thing. But research being done at Wake Forest suggests there may be a problem.

Of course, they're saying the same thing about catfish and that's where I draw the line. Ain't nobody takin' my catfish!:mad:

FWIW

Tilapia eats some of the nastiest stuff, but it's good fish! I like the baked with lemon pepper method, I do the same with halibut sometimes, but my wife doesn't care for halibut.

How about poached cod served with green peas, boiled potatoes and a béchamel sauce with chopped hard boiled eggs? Of course you add some chiles - Fatalii worked great with this. Thats one of my comfort dishes, and I tell myself that it is healthy.

Bechamel is anything but healthy! The rest of that is pretty good. I'm not on some sort of crazy no fat diet though, I can splurge on a semi-healthy meal like that sometimes too :)

Something simple that I use with chicken (I know you asked for fish, but this is healthy and would go ok with a meaty fish like swordfish or yellowfin)..

Chop some shallots (the long green ones) into bits, slice up some birdseye chilli, mince some garlic and ginger and mix the lot with soy sauce and some hoi sin sauce.. marinate your chicken (or fish) for about half an hour.. keep some sauce aside to pour over the top.

After its marinated steam the chicken (takes about 12 minutes for half a breast, but I'd say less for fish), add some bok choy or chinese spinach to the steamer about two minutes before its done..

Serve with some boiled rice with the extra sauce over the top.. high protein, low fat and tasty :)

chicken.jpg

I do a mean stuffed capsicum but that has three types of cheeses so probably out of the question!

I LOVE stuffed peppers, but yeah, I use a ton of cheese too.

I actually made almost exactly that dish (with chicken) last night, but I used Thai chiles instead of Birds Eye...

Hi there, this is a quick and simple recipe I usually serve my family with after a long day at work.

Combine old-fashioned mustard, honey or better yet maple syrup, salt and pepper. Baste the mix on salmon filets and bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes, depending on thickness of the filet. For the last minute of cooking, turn your oven to broil to brown the fish. Serve with oven-roasted asparagus (sprinkle olive oil and season well with salt and pepper, roast in oven at 350 for about 10 minutes) and pan-roasted potatoes.

That sounds really good, I normally saute my asparagus with onions and garlic, but baking it might be good too. I've never glazed salmon, I will give that a try.

Back