• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Has anyone here grown PEPPADEW peppers?

Hi ya'll
Just wondering if anyone here has grown the Peppadew peppers? How did they taste? Did they measure up to the hype?
Thanks in advance

There`s a British lady i no who has grown them and im sure she will give you all the answers you need,im currently growing peppadeww..Copyright remember ;)

They may be able to copyright or trademark the name, but since they didn't create the strain via cross breeding or genetics, they can't control the pepper.

I'm growing a famously named pepper that grows in the Espelette region of France. This pepper originated in Central America and was taken to Spain and then France hundreds of years ago. Perhaps I cannot call it an Espelette pepper, but I sure can grow it. I just have to give it another name....like hmmmmm, I know... an origami pepper. Yeah, that's it the west Texas ORIGAMI pepper-TM. Take that France!

origamiRN said:
Hi ya'll
Just wondering if anyone here has grown the Peppadew peppers? How did they taste? Did they measure up to the hype?
Thanks in advance

Hey OrihamiRN,

My dad got some seeds from his sister in capetown who knew someone from the place the brand pepperdew gets their peppers from and to No, they were not up to the hype.
Only that secret sauce (which the friend didn't divulge) makes the peppers taste so good. They're actually quite tasteless, much like Bell peppers, not a lot of heat but make an ok fresh blended sauce.

I could try and source some of the seeds and post them to you if you like.

Cheers

origamiRN said:
I'm growing a famously named pepper that grows in the Espelette region of France. This pepper originated in Central America and was taken to Spain and then France hundreds of years ago. Perhaps I cannot call it an Espelette pepper, but I sure can grow it. I just have to give it another name....like hmmmmm, I know... an origami pepper. Yeah, that's it the west Texas ORIGAMI pepper-TM. Take that France!

Piment D'espelette are great peppers and very productive. I totally understand why these and other types are protected since they just won't grow the same outside their oficial growing area, and they want to keep strains pure and products consistant.

I didn't have any luck with my pepperdews,but I'm thinking I have a knock-off of the secret sauce floating around.Unfortunately...they didn't make it so I'm not sure about the sauce.Trade seeds origamiRN ?

POTAWIE said:
...types are protected since they just won't grow the same outside their oficial growing area, and they want to keep strains pure and products consistant.

So what is it that makes them not grow the same or up to standards elsewhere? Climate? Soil type? Know-how? All of the above?

Probably all of the above. I know I tried growing San marzano tomatoes for years, and although they were good, they weren't even as good as canned Italian ones grown in their native volcanic soil. Also of interest, I watched a cooking show were the seasoned chefs could identify which state the water was from in a pizza dough

This is an area that interests me a lot. I've eaten Jalapenos that grew in Mexico, Texas and Minnesota, and in my opinion, they all tasted the same. And yet,the paprika peppers of Hungary, and the Espelete peppers of France, taste nothing like their parental peppers that originated in the Americas. I am very curius to know what the original peppers in the Americas were that launched those two. Perhaps someday, after their genetics have been studied, scientists will be able to trace them back to their roots.

POTAWIE said:
Probably all of the above. I know I tried growing San marzano tomatoes for years, and although they were good, they weren't even as good as canned Italian ones grown in their native volcanic soil. Also of interest, I watched a cooking show were the seasoned chefs could identify which state the water was from in a pizza dough
I still think it's possible to duplicate the environmental conditions and therefor the flavor. we just need to know all the variables.

I guess its possible, but not really practical or easy to do. I'll just see how the D'espelettes and Chimayos etc. taste grown in my conditions and I'll grow opalka toms instead of San marzanos:)

Most of the flavor is usually nutrient related, not climate. the most noticeable case showing so is coffee. same coffee grown in different soils, tastes completely different.

Water is always a factor too, but with the san marzano tomato the differece apparently has a lot to do with the sunny climate and the volcanic soil. The volcanic soil is believed to act as a filter for water impurities, producing a lower-acidity, brighter-flavored tomato which is better tasting and are said to ripen 10-20 days earlier than those grown in the U.S.A.

But if you artificially filter you water to that state, it should be the same... no? light could be replicated as well. or you could just use that same volcanic soil.

I was thinking of the volcanic soil thing too. Now that's something that's hard to replicate because even if you lived near Mount St. Helens or something, that doesn't mean you have the same mix of chemicals that a volcano in Italy has. Not to mention the time since the last eruption etc.

Anyway, I hope this isn't the problem we have with getting Greeks to taste "right".

Omri said:
But if you artificially filter you water to that state, it should be the same... no? light could be replicated as well. or you could just use that same volcanic soil.

Wouldn't all this criteria need to be met?:rolleyes:

Back