• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Has anyone ever grown Cumin seeds?

I did a little reading about it and it sounds like a PITA to grow. I use a lot of it and it's getting hard to find the whole seeds in stores. I like to toast them in a dry pan then grind them right before use. The pre-ground stuff at the store is about as flavorful as sawdust IMO.

I buy whole seeds in bulk from Savory Spice shop. I have a local store but I think they also sell online.

I'm trying to grow some for the first time this year - I'll try to let you know how it goes!

Last edited:
I grew cumin a few years ago and it did pretty well.
At the moment I've got fenugreek on the go, bought a bag of seeds for cooking and thought I may as well throw a couple in a pot and they're growing.
Apparently cardomom is the hardest to grow, haven't tried that one yet.

I buy whole seeds in bulk from Savory Spice shop. I have a local store but I think they also sell online.

I'm trying to grow some for the first time this year - I'll try to let you know how it goes!
Great...bookmarked...thanks. Yes let us know how the grow goes. I think it's like a tall grass like plant from what I read...correct?
Simply Organic is supposed to be a good one.
I've seen all three of those in the stores around me but its always ground...no seeds.
I grew cumin a few years ago and it did pretty well.
At the moment I've got fenugreek on the go, bought a bag of seeds for cooking and thought I may as well throw a couple in a pot and they're growing.
Apparently cardomom is the hardest to grow, haven't tried that one yet.
Was it easy to grow and harvest? Can you plant the seeds in the spice jars or do you have to buy seeds?

Fenugreek grown from culinary seeds
pF7vnUem.jpg

Back