• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting Harvesting seeds

Is it that simple? Dry the pepper and collect seeds? Can they be planted before dry to get plants going right away? If I ordered some fresh peppers could seeds be planted from those to get plants?

Yes

Yes

Not sure, I haven't Been successful with seeds I haven't let dry, but maybe I'm alone.

Yes, order peppers, harvest seed. But expect them to not necessarily grow true in every case, people have varying luck.

You can plant them straight out of the pod. They will usually germ quicker to.

All I have done previously to save seeds is I removed the seeds from the fresh pod, then leave them sitting on-top of the fridge in a glass dish for a couple of weeks..
Then put the seeds into zip lock bag..i have had good germ rates with my own seeds.

So wait till they are red. Got it. I really want to order some more of the super hots. I was debating on ordering seeds or ordering the peppers and then harvesting seeds before trying the pepper. :-D

Thanks for the info

One suggestion, regardless of where you obtain seeds little microscopic things can hide out on seeds and not be found until after you start germinating them (bacteria, fungus, virus, mold…) I recommend giving them a bath before germination. You can do this when you pull the seeds from the pods or just before germinating, but I make a habit of doing it before germinating. Two approaches, 1) 1 part hydrogen peroxide to 10 parts water and soak up to overnight, and 2) straight hydrogen peroxide (or just less diluted) for no more than an hour. Hydrogen peroxide works based on time, but it's too harsh on its own to soak seeds in for an extended period.

So this may be a silly question but would a store bought pepper found in the refrigerated section yield a viable seed?

I just purchased some orange habanero chilies and was going to take the seeds out before eating. Just curious if they would be worth trying since they have been in the fridge.

^  Yes, "usually" the seeds are viable with the exception that some import peppers may be picked before ripe to extend their shelf life and that may decrease their germination rate.

I've had great success with store bought pepper seeds. Dry them or sow them right away. I've done both. I soak the dried seeds in a weak camomile tea solution over night. It softens the shell and I've read helps kill bacteria.  Happy growing.

Thanks guys. I saved a few from two pods before chowing down. Lil heat to these. IDK how it compares to the superhots out there. But I bet wild make a mean hot sauce. I love a good vinegar based hot sauce. I also want some powers too. Thanks for the replies!

When my girlfriend brought home the 7 pots, I removed the seeds from one of them and just put them in a paper towel, then put the folded up paper towel in a plastic bag. Well over a year  later, every single seed from the paper towel germinated.

Back