• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

harvesting Harvest Question

Hopefully some other southern growers or just a person smarter than I am can help me. If my first frost is at the end of October and my weather doesn't start cooling off until September does than mean that I will only have one harvest if chinense species take a month to ripen? I am suffering serious flower drop and the only cure for that is cooler weather so I think I'm screwed. I just didn't know if after the first pod if the ones behind it ripen faster.

Once they start setting fruit they will continue to bloom and set new pods while others grow and ripen, so you'll steadily harvest ripe pods and pick several harvests between now and October. If your still feeding them nitrogen, try cutting back on their feeding and switch to straight water for the next several weeks.

One thing you might try is covering your peppers or part of them when you know a frost will come. In my part of Texas it may get cold for a day or two then it gets warm again. You might be able to extend your season and get more ripe pods that way. You want to cover them and have some air space. If the leaves don't freeze they should be alright.

I have raised beds too. You can make something simple , like 1/2" or 3/4" PVC hoops and cover them with a plastic tarp or clear plastic.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

That sounds like a wonderful idea I'm going to build the hoops as soon as possible our weather is like that too except we have about thirty degree weather in the morning and sixty to seventy degree temp in the afternoon it's crazy

GarrettM18 ..... It sounds like simple hoops would work great for you. Open them up when needed , cover them back up to trap warm air.

Your hoops can be really simple. Drive some re-bar into the ground fairly deep ,slip the PVC over that . Run a search on PVC hoop frames ( or houses ) and you should get lots of great info for ideas.

Peace & good luck,
P. Dreadie

You still have lots of time to harvest plenty of pods from your plants b4 the cold arrives.

102_1512.jpg

Your plants are large enough to carry quite a pod load, just quit pampering them so much. :)

Blooms should stop dropping soon enough. :cheers:

Back