• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Hardening off: Rates?

I read somewhere that plants should not be taken into the sun to harden them up until a certain time in their growth...anyone know what it is?

Also, what is the reason you cannot start the hardening up process almost immediately?

I've got seedlings that are a month old, and I've had them in direct sunlight for an hour a day since Wednesday with no adverse effects. I'm thinking of adding 30 mins per days this week, 45 the next and 60 the week after that.

Anyone experience poor results doing something similar?

PS Welcome back, Spring....! :dance:

I approach the entire method ass backwards. It is more work, but cuts the hardening time in half. I put em out in full sun until they wilt. Then bring em into shade until they come back, then sun until wilt, then shade until the bounce back. In less than a week or so, they will stop wilting all together. :) The only downside to this method is you have to have constant vigilance and a very watchful eye or the plant will terminate all new growth. :)

edit: Oh, with seedlings...I just start mine outdoors in the sun. Plants that germ in the sun need NO hardening off.

I read somewhere that plants should not be taken into the sun to harden them up until a certain time in their growth...anyone know what it is?

Also, what is the reason you cannot start the hardening up process almost immediately?

I've got seedlings that are a month old, and I've had them in direct sunlight for an hour a day since Wednesday with no adverse effects. I'm thinking of adding 30 mins per days this week, 45 the next and 60 the week after that.

Anyone experience poor results doing something similar?

PS Welcome back, Spring....! :dance:

The only thing I do is, when I first bring them out, I put them in a more shady spot (or where they only get direct sunlight in the morning) and then after a couple of days I put them in full sun. I've never lost a plant this way, but sometimes a couple of leaves will get a bit scalded, but it's not a big deal. I would never have the patience to move all my plants every day anyway... :D

I approach the entire method ass backwards. It is more work, but cuts the hardening time in half. I put em out in full sun until they wilt. Then bring em into shade until they come back, then sun until wilt, then shade until the bounce back. In less than a week or so, they will stop wilting all together. :) The only downside to this method is you have to have constant vigilance and a very watchful eye or the plant will terminate all new growth. :)

edit: Oh, with seedlings...I just start mine outdoors in the sun. Plants that germ in the sun need NO hardening off.

This. For those who can't monitor their plants at all times, I've also had luck just leaving the plants outside in the shade for a couple days, then moving them into filtered light (say, under a tree) for the rest of the week, then into partial sun and finally full sun after a couple days, no issues so far... though this approach only works during the warmer season when plants won't protest about being left out overnight.

EDIT: I've also gotten away with shortening this process to about a week, so, just keep an eye on the plants, especially once you move them into stronger light.

Thanks very much, fellas -

Great to see newer members willing to share! :beer:

I shall add greatly to their outside times daily, and leave them out from 10 Sept...

Pepper-Guru

Yep, I think that your suggestion to germinate directly in the elements might still be the best method of all.

good note on that germinating in full sun.
I think i'll have to give that a shot for the next batch.. im planning on having a bunch to overwinter But having them hardened off before next summer would be great.

I have a bunch of seedlings that I'm trying to start hardening off about the same way into 115 degree full sunlight days... I'm noticing that different peppers seem to be able to take longer stints in the heat right off the bat - my cayenne wilts to the point it looks dead within 5 minutes out there, but my little 7 pot and bhut plants seem to take the heat much better and longer.

Thanks very much, fellas -

Great to see newer members willing to share! :beer:

I shall add greatly to their outside times daily, and leave them out from 10 Sept...

Pepper-Guru

Yep, I think that your suggestion to germinate directly in the elements might still be the best method of all.

good note on that germinating in full sun.
I think i'll have to give that a shot for the next batch.. im planning on having a bunch to overwinter But having them hardened off before next summer would be great.

I have a bunch of seedlings that I'm trying to start hardening off about the same way into 115 degree full sunlight days... I'm noticing that different peppers seem to be able to take longer stints in the heat right off the bat - my cayenne wilts to the point it looks dead within 5 minutes out there, but my little 7 pot and bhut plants seem to take the heat much better and longer.

Take into consideration that you can still germinate them indoors under "perfect" conditions, if you like, and once you see hooks then bring them out to meet that Star we call the sun :) I still like to make sure there is diffuse sunlight that hits them at times. I.E. Setting them on the ground just under the edge of newly budding trees' shadows in the spring, half way under the deck if the sun angle is right, etc...They can take full sun right off so long as your root zone temps stay cool. At this stage those newly forming tap roots are so delicate. The slightest extended length of time where the temp is too high, or forgetting to water could spell disaster for the youngsters.

Back