• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

greenhouse Hardening Off Plants in a Greenhouse

I've been looking at a 6x8 greenhouse for $200.  Heavy steel framing, mesh polyethylene cover.  What I'm trying to figure out is hardening off plants in a greenhouse, from the sun.  If I brought my plants up from the basement, and put them in a greenhouse, they wouldn't last long in the sun.  Do you put the plants in the greenhouse for 1-2 hours, then throw a shade cloth over the top, gradually increasing the time in the sun without the shade cloth?  Eventually, the plants would go in the ground.  I just want to get the plants out of the basement sooner, and put them outside before plant out. 

I have used the 8x10 version of this for several years. The 8x6 is $199. With a few shelves, you could easily fit a few hundred seedlings. I've got my non-chinenses inside right now with a space heater, and will move the rest in this week. I put them in for a few hours the first few days and then their good to go. Alternatively, you could throw a shade over them. The greenhouse material seems to reduce sun rays, so I don't worry too much about hardening off after a few days - especially this time of year.

hottoddy said:
I have used the 8x10 version of this for several years. The 8x6 is $199. With a few shelves, you could easily fit a few hundred seedlings. I've got my non-chinenses inside right now with a space heater, and will move the rest in this week. I put them in for a few hours the first few days and then their good to go. Alternatively, you could throw a shade over them. The greenhouse material seems to reduce sun rays, so I don't worry too much about hardening off after a few days - especially this time of year.
Thanks.  I have too many large plants to be moving them in for a few hours, then pulling them out, and into the shade...then back in again the next day for a few hours...Maybe the mesh cloth that comes with the greenhouse blocks enough sun so this won't really be an issue?  Or, the removable shade cloth idea.  I can buy the greenhouse locally for the same price as the one below, and I was very surprised at the heavy steel framing.
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/grow-it-6-x-8-organic-growers-greenhouse/hobby-greenhouse-kits

Yeah, a mesh cloth should be fine but you could always throw a shade cloth or tarp over the top for part of a few days to be safe. One year I used a big piece of cardboard as a sunshield. The key would be to watch them closely for a few days - a lot depends on your weather and sun. Make sure to watch the heat. Even this time of year, it can easily get really hot inside fast without windows and doors opened during the day. I've never had hardening off issues in the greenhouse, but that may be due to my particular fabric covering. Good luck!

Roguejim said:
I've been looking at a 6x8 greenhouse for $200.  Heavy steel framing, mesh polyethylene cover.  What I'm trying to figure out is hardening off plants in a greenhouse, from the sun.  If I brought my plants up from the basement, and put them in a greenhouse, they wouldn't last long in the sun.  Do you put the plants in the greenhouse for 1-2 hours, then throw a shade cloth over the top, gradually increasing the time in the sun without the shade cloth?  Eventually, the plants would go in the ground.  I just want to get the plants out of the basement sooner, and put them outside before plant out. 
thats what i do my friend , i got the same thing , i hang white bed sheets up , and the plants can stay all day , the sheets filter it . after a week if that sheets come down bammo hardened !     :onfire:
moruga welder said:
thats what i do my friend , i got the same thing , i hang white bed sheets up , and the plants can stay all day , the sheets filter it . after a week if that sheets come down bammo hardened !     :onfire:
remember me telling about it ?     :onfire:

moruga welder said:

Yeah, I remembered someone saying that.  Thanks for jumping in, again!

moruga welder said:

'
Just out of curiosity...  How the hell did you manage to quote yourself in the same post?

Scuba_Steve said:
'
Just out of curiosity...  How the hell did you manage to quote yourself in the same post?
i don't have a clue ! i'm just a dumb welder now a days ! lol my son 2 oldest son brett is the computer genius ! can't ask him he's out in vancouver , washington . but if i figure it out i'll be sure to let you know my friend !    

Good topic. I am essentially mirroring this same setup with the same exact 8x6 greenhouse. It should arrive today and it looks like I should have a couple nice days weather-wise to get it setup. I'm excited to get the ladies outside. They're REALLY starting to crowd each other under the light fixtures. Plant out day can't get here soon enough...

Back