• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hardening off from word go....

Well, the weather has been so beautiful here the past week, I've been putting my little guys out in the sun for six or seven hours every day.

IMG_5779.jpg

Beautiful mild Autumn sun and a nice, very gentle breeze.... it has been perfect for them! :D

Then of course, after hours, it's back under the fluoros.

Don't know what's up with my soon-to-be-very-leggy Aji Amarillos though, those things are suicidal! Regardless of how close I put them to the light, they still grow right into it! :crazy:

my datils are very leggy this year so much so that i have trimmed them down 2 nodes so they fork out as they were flopping over. cant wait to taste them too! yours seem to be ok so far man looking nice and green especially the t scorp yellow! the stems should thicken up on all if they are being put out in the breeze and sun

the stems should thicken up on all if they are being put out in the breeze and sun
That's half the perfectness of it all. :D

And yeah, some plants just want to be rogues, don't they! Since getting a grow light at the start of last season, I found most of my plants behaved well enough but there was still one or two that just wanted to get taller and taller and taller....

Don't know what's up with my soon-to-be-very-leggy Aji Amarillos

that's how they grow, if they are anything like my hot lemons, they grow tall and very fast, fastest growing pepper i have ever experienced. i bought my original plants from burpees and they had to be 2 feet tall when i bought them. as an experiment, i put 2 seeds into my dwc to see if the seeds were viable, they were and in 3 months i had to transfer them to soil as the plants were pushing 2 feet tall and falling over. everyday i could see visible growth (1/4inch/day). chiliman says amarillos can hit 5-6feet in 1 season.

i am just starting to harden off my plants and many of them are not liking it at all. 1 fatalii can only last 15 minutes then has to be brought inside as it wilts, looking like a dead plant. my superchili have sunscald and 5 year old goatsweed have dropped a lot of their leaves. i have a 3 year old tepin and last year it dropped all its leaves, 3 times in the season and never produced 1 pod(it hated wind, sun, cloud and of course i live in an extremely dry climate - just a sissy plant) - this year it's going to be an indoor plant, maybe i will decorate it with pink ribbons!

this was the first week i could put plants outside, all my snow is gone now, sun is shining hot but we are experiencing a very cool wind(i think that's what shocked the goatsweed). my tomatoes can handle the cooler, windy mornings but i can't put the peppers out until about noon, then i bring them inside around 7pm.

Hey Gas, are you able to grow year-round in your climate?
I'll let you know once winter is over. ;)

I've only started a very small handful of my seeds just to test the waters for now. Although, from what I hear, we should be right here - even if it means bringing everyone inside at night if the temps drop too low. That being said, I'm keeping a few of my bigger plants from last season and I will leave them outside regardless of the temps to see how they fare, and as for my newly started seedlings, well, they're gonna be inside under a light anyway at night!

that's how they grow, if they are anything like my hot lemons, they grow tall and very fast, fastest growing pepper i have ever experienced. i bought my original plants from burpees and they had to be 2 feet tall when i bought them. as an experiment, i put 2 seeds into my dwc to see if the seeds were viable, they were and in 3 months i had to transfer them to soil as the plants were pushing 2 feet tall and falling over. everyday i could see visible growth (1/4inch/day). chiliman says amarillos can hit 5-6feet in 1 season.

i am just starting to harden off my plants and many of them are not liking it at all. 1 fatalii can only last 15 minutes then has to be brought inside as it wilts, looking like a dead plant. my superchili have sunscald and 5 year old goatsweed have dropped a lot of their leaves. i have a 3 year old tepin and last year it dropped all its leaves, 3 times in the season and never produced 1 pod(it hated wind, sun, cloud and of course i live in an extremely dry climate - just a sissy plant) - this year it's going to be an indoor plant, maybe i will decorate it with pink ribbons!

this was the first week i could put plants outside, all my snow is gone now, sun is shining hot but we are experiencing a very cool wind(i think that's what shocked the goatsweed). my tomatoes can handle the cooler, windy mornings but i can't put the peppers out until about noon, then i bring them inside around 7pm.
Should be interesting to see how big these guys actually get then! It's probably a good thing too then that I have to opportunity to start hardening them off so early and hopefully get them stems nice and tough.

Yeah, our spring and summer sun can be very intense too. At one stage there last season, not knowing any better, I had my plants out in full summer sun and it turned out they didn't like it much at all! After finding a spot for them where they got good full morning sun up until about lunch time then a nice afternoon shade, they started doing MUCH better.

Please forgive me for being a noob, but what is meant by "hardening off"? Does it just refer to toughening the young plants by controlled exposure to the elements?

Thanks.

Back