Habanero's at the store

Is it worth it to take the seeds from a Habanero purchased from the grocery store to start a new plant or should I be more patient and just order seeds online?

Schweg said:
Is it worth it to take the seeds from a Habanero purchased from the grocery store to start a new plant or should I be more patient and just order seeds online?

I've grown plants from seeds that came from peppers that I bought at the grocery and didn't have any problems. As long as the peppers are mature and not green, and haven't been exposed to high heat in a drying process, you shouldn't have problems germinating them.

Alan

I've had seeds germinate from green pods too. I have found in the past that seeds taken from shop-bought chillis are very quick at germinating and germination results were very good.

Good advice, Potawie. Particularly in the case of jalapenos, the store variety have had the heat bred out of them.

At this point, I think you're still safe with habs, but that will change with time too.

for the heck of it ive tried to grow some store bought japs because they are those big beefy ones..first attempt didnt go well but ill try again for the heck of it

Thanks to every one. I have 4 seed that are growing right now and doing well, the decided to show themselves last week.

I have extra Orange Habanero seeds if any wants to trade. Just PM.

Thanks again.

Back