• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake habanero powder

You can dry them in the sun, or you can get a commercial dehydrator. I use the Nesco DC-80 (purchased from Amazon.com), halve the peppers, then leave them in overnight. After that, I used a blender & coffee grinder (in that order) to powderize the dried peppers

I use a cheap ($40) Oster dehydrator from Walmart. Cut peppers in half, put in dehydrator seed side down, they are done when pods crack. If the pods bend without cracking they are not done. Like elcap, I use a coffee grinder ($15 at Walmart) to grind into powder under my exhaust fan. Let it settle a minute or two before opening grinder to prevent breathing in powder. Make your own seasonings/rubs by mixing with garlic powder, onion powder, or herbs. Ground scotch bonnet, ground thyme, and ground allspice makes the killer jerk rub for jerk chicken. I haven't used black pepper in over a year. Honemade spices are waaaaaay better. Good luck.

Habs air dry quite well, takes a couple days to a week. Halve them and I prefer to seed them but that's all personal preference, then stuff them in coffee grinder a hand full at a time and powder to whatever consistency that you like best.

Any other pepper that has a thicker skin I use a dehydrator. Any kind that has a low/no heat option works great, had a basic nesco without controls and had problems with discoloration. I have 2 now nesco FD-61 and 80 both work great the 80 just holds a lot more.

Back