• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Habanero Adventure

hello hab dude i am using the 27 watt cfl lights and am modularly expanding
clamp light ___________6.47 silver mechanics lamp with spring clip (looks like the one you already have)
double socket__________2.64 y shaped srew two bulbs into one hole
socket outlet__________2.48 extends wye from lampshade
2pak 27 watt daylight__5.97 color 5000k 1750 some lumens each= ±3,500 lumens?
:woohoo:
screwed bulbs into wye, wye into extender, extender into lampclamp light

this is my second $20 some odd for indoor grow seedlings before going to outdoor
maybe should get 4 more bulbs and two wyes (now am running 4@1750 lumens= ±7,000)
i could get 14000 with ±216 some watts
edited for typos etcetera

Well how much blue/red light do you need. Sunrise is about 2000 K and noon is about 5400 K so wouldnt you want to do like 2700 K in the morning then 5000 K in the afternoon and then 2700K again to get better growth?

Information is here My link

i saw these (linked thread)pictures and thought:
"gee, i sure wish i could grow some peppers that looked like expensive exotic houseplants"
so on this board i asked and got info i wanted
hoping to end up with lush deep green peppers.....

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/20038-pics-of-my-early-starts/

i will reverse engineer if i need to but first am using some tested methodology
for hotties :eek:

the people on this board are really helpful

I have had good luck using a 23 watt 1430 lumens 6400k full spectrum light. The bulb package says Sun Blaster. I usually just leave the light on while I'm at work, generally about 8 hrs(since that's where my plants are). Every now and then (once every couple of weeks) I'll put them on the window sill for a while to get them some natural sunlight. You can see how well the plants are doing in the photos I posted previously. I have grown these plants completely indoors.

Ive been seeing 5000K and 6400K and based on the information in my previous post, 6400K seems to have the same wavelength as mixing the summer sun and the blue sky (reflected light) where the 5000K is just the summer sun.

Its important to understand what spectrum plants need and how much. Red light makes plants grow tall and thin. As a result of just red light plants will grow tall and keel over and die. Blue light makes plants grow short and fat like thickening stems. Plants need both red and blue light. Now the color on a bulb is the average color the bulb puts out. A spectrum of a light source can reveal how much blue/red light is in a given bulb.

Again the information is here and here this is really good info for understanding why certain bulbs work and dont work.

Its important to differentiate wattage from lumens from color because they are all different. A higher wattage will not mean your plants will grow more. Its about the amount of light (lumens) and the spectrum of light emitted.

Now what color is best? The second link I posted shows spectrometric images of different color's spectrums. As you can see some of the lights have more red or more blue than others. You want to pick a light source that contains the same spectrum as sunlight. An incandescent is a great source of red light but starts failing on the blue spectrum. A flourescent light has good blue spectrum but not as much red light as you can see. This is why I dont like just picking a bulb and increasing the wattage.

From these spectrometer graphs the ideal light source to emulate real sunlight + the light refracted off the atmosphere (this is important) is a hard fit. Sun light is continuous and compact flourescent light is not. Thus compact flourescent light will never truely ever be as good as real light. Incandescent light is continuous but it doesn't have good orange, blue, purple etc. See the photos. The flourescent light has good orange,blue, and purple but because it is not continuous only select wave lengths are available in strength.

High pressure sodium light looks good but I would need to see better pictures but just looking at it it seems to have all the colors except blue and purple. Also a computer screen seems to provide great blue and purple spectrum based on a white screen.

Flourescent seems to work but I want a light more exact.

Oooohhh!!!! Look at metal halide it looks so good.

Also CFL(compact flourescent light) sucks compared to flourescent tubes. Maybe I will use a flourescent tube with a sodium lamp and a metal halide lamp along with a few computer screens to grow my peppers.

*edited to fix typos*

yes, yes, and yes

the thing is i am in los angeles and you are in fla

i am trying to get to that point of everything outside

i have grown using metal halogen but that was for another crop that
"survived until harvest" better indoors {in the 80's} :crazy:

they have been growing indoor for along time and "we" are using "their" tech

we can get a good result affordably (sp?)economically

the growerator i have at home is small footprint and just a "nursery" :lol:

Well the 6500K lights always say "full spectrum" but are they really full spectrum because the photos show they are discontinuous light sources? Most CFL's have 4 different phosphorous gases inside and can only dish out a few wavelengths of light.

Also right now I don't have any pepper sprouts and since I am living in apartments from now until who knows, I wanna grow plants but I don't have a yard. I have a balcony but it never gets any direct sunlight. Can you grow peppers in those conditions or do you need some direct sunlight?

They will grow better with direct sunlight, but as long as you are not talking a dark and dreary balcony you will be ok. Look at it as the more gas you put in the car the farther you can drive. The more light you give them the more pods they can produce :dance: You can always suppliment the plants with some extra light to boost their growth. Even a clamp light with a high powered CFL will help if it's not growing how you want.

They will grow better with direct sunlight, but as long as you are not talking a dark and dreary balcony you will be ok. Look at it as the more gas you put in the car the farther you can drive. The more light you give them the more pods they can produce :dance: You can always suppliment the plants with some extra light to boost their growth. Even a clamp light with a high powered CFL will help if it's not growing how you want.

Its north facing and you can never see the sun anywhere on the balcony. All of it is shaded the sun is on the other side of the building. Is that dark and dreary?

The orange Habaneros just sprouted this moring :dance:

Woohoo! I got a huge rush when I opened the bin and turned on my light and looked in the cups. "What is that thing peaking through the soil?! A plant!!! Wait....Is it a plant? Its a plant woohoo! :onfire:

Here are some pictures of the little guys.

2.jpg

1.jpg

Got them coming in on some potting soil and took only 8 days! I put them outside on the balcony even though its shaded and they seem to like it out there.

Is that the patio? Take some pics so we can see your lighting outside.

Its raining right now. I will try to get some pics up but I took those pictures when it was no clouds in the sky and full sun. The first picture shows some grass that is getting full sun and then the dark part which is what I get on my balcony.

My lonely habs are no longer lonely. I have 5 peppers in one pot and two in another pot. Should I seperate them or let them grow together? They all sprouted right next to each other. Is it hard to seperate them when they are this close to each (with in an inch)?

My lonely habs are no longer lonely. I have 5 peppers in one pot and two in another pot. Should I seperate them or let them grow together? They all sprouted right next to each other. Is it hard to seperate them when they are this close to each (with in an inch)?

I would separate them sooner than later. Once the roots get intermingled it will be tough to do without damaging them.

I would separate them sooner than later. Once the roots get intermingled it will be tough to do without damaging them.

How soon is soon? They sprouted a few days ago and I dont want to kill them by trying to seperate them to earlier. They are nice and green as in the picture.

get-attachmentaspx-5.jpg

Woah, that's close..... Take two big spoons and GENTLY take them out all together. Then very gingerly put them in different containers. Try and disturb the roots as little as possible. Don't pack the soil in hard around them when you transplant, just enough to hold them up. Bottom water them and the soil will expand and seat them in their new home.

Best of luck Dr Lonely!

Update

4.jpg

3-1.jpg

1-2.jpg

2-2.jpg

I transplanted these from the crowded pots two days ago and they took very well. I also just had a caribbean red hab sprout 3 days ago :woohoo:. I planted some thai chili peppers yesterday so just waiting on them and watching the habs take off. :dance:

Back