• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

growing worms

i got my kit in and it seems like it will work ... it is kinda small but i dont think it will be that big of deal i have 6 worm bins ...... and worms should be here in a day or 2... i will post more pics of whats going on ... enjoy!!! :cool:

IMG00652-20100901-1756.jpg

IMG00653-20100901-1757.jpg

I have pretty much the same kit and I haven't had any problems with mine so far. I think the key with the "kits" is the open heavily cut bottom of each level that allows the worms to quickly travel between levels. Also the last level is used to catch the water where it's not sitting in the dirt drowning the worms. The best part of a worm bin isn't the compost it's the "worm tea" that you can make from the compost and then foiler feed your plants with it. I've seen gallons of teas being sold for as much as $50 at my local hydro store!! If you have never used worm tea you will be amazed as it's basically billions of beneficial microbes in every drop!

I have pretty much the same kit and I haven't had any problems with mine so far. I think the key with the "kits" is the open heavily cut bottom of each level that allows the worms to quickly travel between levels. Also the last level is used to catch the water where it's not sitting in the dirt drowning the worms. The best part of a worm bin isn't the compost it's the "worm tea" that you can make from the compost and then foiler feed your plants with it. I've seen gallons of teas being sold for as much as $50 at my local hydro store!! If you have never used worm tea you will be amazed as it's basically billions of beneficial microbes in every drop!

ok man i got my worms today.... i put them in there new home... i will post up some pics.. do you keep your worms out side? yeah i cant wait to see all this working ..

Worm tea? Sounds disgusting.
No really, what are you talking about?

Are you serious? Worm tea is probably the single best thing you can do to help your plants... It's a bit complex, but google will certainly help out a bit if your really don't know what worm tea is.

ok man i got my worms today.... i put them in there new home... i will post up some pics.. do you keep your worms out side? yeah i cant wait to see all this working ..

I keep mine inside in a corner of the garage. The garage is perfect in my area, because it doesn't get too hot at night or too cold in the day. It stays around 80 all the time and that seems to be the perfect temp for them. I started off with a 1/2 lb and honestly I have too many of them after a year and have released quit a few into the larger pots outside.

Are you serious? Worm tea is probably the single best thing you can do to help your plants... It's a bit complex, but google will certainly help out a bit if your really don't know what worm tea is.

I keep mine inside in a corner of the garage. The garage is perfect in my area, because it doesn't get too hot at night or too cold in the day. It stays around 80 all the time and that seems to be the perfect temp for them. I started off with a 1/2 lb and honestly I have too many of them after a year and have released quit a few into the larger pots outside.

i got 1pound of worms ... they said the worms could eat 1/2pound of food aday... i plan on feeding my fish the worms.. so there will be death for them ... dont think i will have to many like you .. wish i could put them in the garage but it was 95 in there yesterday... maybe when it gets cooler it would be a good place....

i got 1pound of worms ... they said the worms could eat 1/2pound of food aday... i plan on feeding my fish the worms.. so there will be death for them ... dont think i will have to many like you .. wish i could put them in the garage but it was 95 in there yesterday... maybe when it gets cooler it would be a good place....

Yeah you should be ok then and probably won't end up with too many worms? However you will have to keep them feed often because they do eat a lot. What type of fish are you feeding them to? I used to toss a few in my 180 gallon Piranha tank every once and a while, but because I have 8 of them all around 8-10" I found they would nip each other fighting over such a measly morsal of food. That cause me to go back to using an occasional feeder mouse to stimulate there natural instinct to eat live food.

Worm tea may cause pathogen problems in hydro. It may also plug up piping/filters.

Willard I never said to use it in hydro. If you read my initial post it said to be used as a "foiler" feeding.

The best part of a worm bin isn't the compost it's the "worm tea" that you can make from the compost and then foiler feed your plants with it.

Yeah you should be ok then and probably won't end up with too many worms? However you will have to keep them feed often because they do eat a lot. What type of fish are you feeding them to? I used to toss a few in my 180 gallon Piranha tank every once and a while, but because I have 8 of them all around 8-10" I found they would nip each other fighting over such a measly morsal of food. That cause me to go back to using an occasional feeder mouse to stimulate there natural instinct to eat live food.

well i was going to get catfish,not sure what other fish i might get for my aquaponics system... i was also thinking about getting a few chickens also and feeding them the worms too.....

well i was going to get catfish,not sure what other fish i might get for my aquaponics system... i was also thinking about getting a few chickens also and feeding them the worms too.....

catfish would be good to get because they are hardy and eat just about anything. I had a nice 16" shovel nose in a 300 gallon once. Keep in mind they eat a LOT of food so if your planing on feeding it just worms a large one could probably eat a lb a day. I would toss in 30 or so medium sized goldfish and he would eat them ALL in less than a day!! I had to get rid of him because he just ate to much.

catfish would be good to get because they are hardy and eat just about anything. I had a nice 16" shovel nose in a 300 gallon once. Keep in mind they eat a LOT of food so if your planing on feeding it just worms a large one could probably eat a lb a day. I would toss in 30 or so medium sized goldfish and he would eat them ALL in less than a day!! I had to get rid of him because he just ate to much.
sheesh! and we complain about the garbage-gut 105 lb yellow lab!!!

Anyway, question from SalsaKid, who has been talking for the last 2 days about starting his own worm bin. They've done it at his school, and he's really excited to grow some gold for the peppers. It took a little work to convince him that Costco does not carry worms and dirt to start his project...( We really do live in the middle of NoWhere...)

Our/his plan was to purchase a small (8 or 16 oz size) tub of fishing worms from the local sporting goods store.

Is this the type of worms to use or should we resort to (please say NOOOooooo,,,) digging out in the yard or flower beds for other wigglies?

You can get 1000 Red Wigglers from Uncle Jim's Farm for $17.95 + 10.95 shipping. I looked on Craigslist and many people sell worms by the pound out here. I read you don't have to get alot because they will reproduce based on the amount of food you give them and the size of the container. I am getting ready to get some worms soon too.

Here is a stray thought I had. Would worms migrate into a tote set up with bedding and "food"? The idea I was thinking was to put the tote in the yard for a few, and let the worms move in using the holes in the bottom of the tote. That way I am growing native worms. Might work?

Here is a stray thought I had. Would worms migrate into a tote set up with bedding and "food"? The idea I was thinking was to put the tote in the yard for a few, and let the worms move in using the holes in the bottom of the tote. That way I am growing native worms. Might work?

They may, but those aren't the worms you want. You want RED WORMS and nothing else mainly because they reproduce faster and eat a lot more. Some fishing supply places sell them, but most places sell night crawlers and that's not what you want.

Earlier this year I put in an add in craigs list to sell some worm compost and worms since my worm farm had more worms then I could feed them. I had about 20 people reply and sold them all a lb of worms and 5lbs of compost for $30 and I still have more than I need. Once the worms start multiplying they reproduce VERY fast. In my extra 50 gallon trash can I can't dig more then a few inches without getting a handful of worms.

Back