• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

indoor Growing Indoors

Hello everyone! I'm thinking of trying a super hot indoors, likely Douglah. I don't have much $$ and plan on utilizing an underused closet. I've got a low-wattage, radiator-style electric heater that I plan on using as well. I'm looking for suggestions for a light source. With so many choices out there, it's a bit overwhelming for a 1st timer like myself. If it helps, I plan on germinating in Cow Pots with Jiffy Starter mix. From there, transplanting to 5 gallon bucket with MG organic potting soil/composted manure mix with some organic blood and organic bone meals as well for balance. Incidentally, I'm doing tomatoes as well and had planned on using Sea Magic for fruit promotion, can I use this for peppers as well? Thanks in advance!

-Masschilehead

The best bang for the buck, ie, lowest 1 year owning/operating cost is HID, either metal halide or high pressure sodium. The lights should heat the closet if it doesn't have an exposed wall or ceiling......in fact, you will have to ventilate to cool.

Don't use tomato fertilizers on chiles, they are very different plants.

The best bang for the buck, ie, lowest 1 year owning/operating cost is HID, either metal halide or high pressure sodium. The lights should heat the closet if it doesn't have an exposed wall or ceiling......in fact, you will have to ventilate to cool.

Thanks for the input! I don't have the option to ventilate, unfortunately. I think I'll just have to wait until January or February and germinate. Do I need a HPS or MH for that, or do you think I could get away with a high wattage CPF? The Sea Magic I was referring to is simply a concentrated kelp fertilizer to promote fruit.

If you can't ventilate, you're probably only left with CFLs, because they run cool compared to MH/HPS. But, to be honest, without a bit of airflow, your peppers are likely to suffer.

As far as ferts go, I've never found peppers to be that picky, as long as there's not too much nitrogen (relative to K and P) - I usually go for something with equal% of NPK and use 1/4-1/2 recommended strength (if I use 1/4 I increase the frequency of application). For fruiting you really have to go easy on the nitrogen though, or you wont get much peppers at all.

Yeah, they are different plants, but the ferts usually aren't - I mean a "tomato ferilizer" is usually just your basic balanced 10-10-10 fertilizer, isn't it?

Yeah, they are different plants, but the ferts usually aren't - I mean a "tomato ferilizer" is usually just your basic balanced 10-10-10 fertilizer, isn't it?

You must be doing soil. In hydroponics, GH Floramato is definitely suitable for raising superhots.

If you can't ventilate, you're probably only left with CFLs, because they run cool compared to MH/HPS.

Actually, for the same amount of light, HID lamps make less heat then fluorescent lamps, ie, they are more efficient.

HID lamp temperatures are higher, but they make less waste heat.

I wouldn't go with a HID if you can't have an input vent, it will be far too hot in a small space. You can contruct one for next to nothing though (a bit of ducting, a hole, and a fan).
High wattage grow CFLs will work, but not as well. Still... Better than a sauna!

Actually, for the same amount of light, HID lamps make less heat then fluorescent lamps, ie, they are more efficient.

HID lamp temperatures are higher, but they make less waste heat.

I don't know how that's possible...

I have a couple of 200w cfls that I can comfortably touch even after 10 hours of them being on, while my 150w MH reflector gets so hot after 10minutes I'm afraid to even get near it. As for the output, both are "supposed to" output rougly the same lumens/watt according to the label (18500 lumens total for the CFL and 15000 for the MH, so 92 lumens/w and 100 lumens/w)...

Now, the values are probably a bit high and might apply to a new lamp in ideal conditions, but that's probably true of both CFL and MH. Or am I missing something?

Even if CFLs are less efficient and will heat up the closet more, at least they don't get as hot as the HIDs. I mean, I would be uncomfortable sticking the MH reflector anywhere near wood or anything flamable, especially in an enclosed space without ventilation.

I don't know how that's possible...

I have a couple of 200w cfls that I can comfortably touch even after 10 hours of them being on, while my 150w MH reflector gets so hot after 10minutes I'm afraid to even get near it. As for the output, both are "supposed to" output rougly the same lumens/watt according to the label (18500 lumens total for the CFL and 15000 for the MH, so 92 lumens/w and 100 lumens/w)...

Now, the values are probably a bit high and might apply to a new lamp in ideal conditions, but that's probably true of both CFL and MH. Or am I missing something?

Even if CFLs are less efficient and will heat up the closet more, at least they don't get as hot as the HIDs. I mean, I would be uncomfortable sticking the MH reflector anywhere near wood or anything flamable, especially in an enclosed space without ventilation.
I've decided that due to little to no ventilation, I'm going to use my closet space simply for germination. I thought about doing it in the basement, but we have an older home with a rock foundation and a fluorescent tube set up. I was thinking about this for my germination set up (1 each) and wanted to get opinions. Trying to do this at as little cost as possible. I'm germinating 20 x Butch T, Douglah, Bhuts, Red Savinas and 10 x Yellow 7's and Bonda Ma Jacques. Thanks!

Green Thumb Clamp-on CFL Grow Light

Exclusive Tight-Grip Clamping System
Green Thumb CFL lights are great for helping orchids, bonsai and all houseplants to maintain healthy growth. This grow light comes with a full spectrum 40 watt CFL bulb and 6' power cord. The 2700k bulb provides increased output in the red spectrum which promotes flowering in plants. The 5000K bulb is full spectrum bulb which promotes overall plant growth. Bulbs are 2650 lumens (Equals 150W incandescent bulb). Average CFL bulb life is 10,000 hours. Bulbs fit into a standard medium socket. Requires 110/120 volt outlet.

Description
Price
Quantity
Order Online
Clamp-on Fixture + 40W 5000K Bulb
$29.95

Clamp-on Fixture + 40W 2700K Bulb
$29.95

http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/lights.shtml

Back