• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

indoor Growing indoors using CFL

Hi,

Hope to find some fellow indoor growers here and maybe share some experiences.

Im growing indoors since begin August. Below a copy of a previous post on another forum

Hi All,

Some pics of my setup/plants.

2x Dorset Naga
1x Red Savina Habanero
3x Bhut Jolokia
1x Dutch Habanero F3
1x Adjoema Red

30-08-2008

1 Month !!

29-09-2008

Ok that last pic was taken on September 29
I post another message with updated pics

Some recent pics.

As you can see there are 4 plants left. I removed 4 of them because it was to crowded in there.:lol:

Red Savina Habanero

Lee,

A search will turn up a pod full of threads and posts about lights, including CFL and LEDs. I've got seven 105 watters coming tomorrow and another guy (Milk_Man) has a 230 one he is talking about plugging in.

Mike

Just wanted to share some info.:) Have to find my way around here.
Btw. How you gonna set them up?

lee

Yep, I'm using a combination of CFL and HID for the moment, with a 90W LED supposedly just landing in the country for me to try.

130W CFL 14000K for early seedlings
220W CFL 50/50 mix of red and blue for late stage seedlings
600W HPS in a grow tent for growing over winter (this will be replaced by LED)
90W LED with a mix of 2 types of blue, 1 type of red and 1 type of white

The plants in the grow tent under the 600W HPS have just exploded with growth, I have a Chocolate Bhut Jolokia that is flowerng now, and a African Birds Eye that looks like a monster. 6 plants in a 1.2m x 1.2m x 2m tent might be a bit too much, but I'll see if I can make the canopy mix well together.

lee, those are some nice looking plants. I personally don't have experience with anything other than florescent lights, but as mentioned a quick search here and you will find what your looking for, I'm sure.

Sounds very good!:) You got some equipment there. Do you got some pics of your bhut? Setup pics are also appreciated.
1,2x1,2x2m must be enough to grow 6 plant?

MiLK_MaN said:
Yep, I'm using a combination of CFL and HID for the moment, with a 90W LED supposedly just landing in the country for me to try.

130W CFL 14000K for early seedlings
220W CFL 50/50 mix of red and blue for late stage seedlings
600W HPS in a grow tent for growing over winter (this will be replaced by LED)
90W LED with a mix of 2 types of blue, 1 type of red and 1 type of white

The plants in the grow tent under the 600W HPS have just exploded with growth, I have a Chocolate Bhut Jolokia that is flowerng now, and a African Birds Eye that looks like a monster. 6 plants in a 1.2m x 1.2m x 2m tent might be a bit too much, but I'll see if I can make the canopy mix well together.

Lee,

I have a chamber that is nearly 8' long (a couple of the supposedly 8' 2x4 was only 92") and 3' wide. I attached 5 electrical fixtures to a top 2x4, spacing them 17" apart.

When I measured the light intensity at the top of the plants with them at the bottom (about 18" away) I was getting a bit over 3,000 lux, which is enough for seedlings, though I may raise the floor up six inches which should give me about 6,000-7,000 lux.

But since I won't sow these seeds until close to January, I will find something to use them for. Today, I espied several rose bushes (still blooming even though we have had several killing frosts) that are on public property. I just got a cloner and am anxious to try it. Plus, I have several plants (toms, peppers and cukes) growing in hydro and some broccoli in dirt that are begging for more light. Not to mention, figuring out how long it takes to grow a tomato from the time until the seed is sown until it is ready to transplant.

So much to do... and I can only take it a day at a time.

Mike

How many watts of cfl are you using? I will be using 8x54watt T5HO lighting for my plants. I have been debating how many plants I wiil be able to grow under that light. The area I have is 4.5feet x 2 feet x 4 feet. From your experience how many plant would you say would fit under there? What material are you using for the sides? Are you using a fan to pollinate?

lee said:
Sounds very good! You got some equipment there. Do you got some pics of your bhut? Setup pics are also appreciated.
1,2x1,2x2m must be enough to grow 6 plant?

As requested:

DSC01694.JPG

Chocolate Bhut Jolokia

DSC01696.JPG

Chocolate Bhut Jolokia flower

DSC01702.JPG

The full setup. 6 plants under a 600W HPS in the followering order:

Fatalii - Tabasco - Caribbean Red Habanero
Bhut Jolokia - African Birdseye - Chocolate Bhut Jolokia

DSC01703.JPG

Newly formed Bhut Jolokia pod. It is actually green, but the intensity of the light of the 600W really shows up in this pic

Nice to see somebody growing the Choc Jolokia and they have germinted lol,Just planted mine and looking at your plant they seem
fairly stable :)

@ stinky
I am using 4x55W. My growbox is also 9 square feet.
My original plan was to grow 3-4 plants under CFL. Couldn't threw my youg seedlings away and decided to grow 8 plants in the same space. But after they got bigger I realised that my box was to small to grow 8 plants. I have removed 4 of them and I am now growing 4 :), as I planned from the beginning. I might have to remove 1 more :(.
I grow them in 7,5 Liter containers, thats about 2 gallon.

I would say grow max. 3 plants on that area. Also depends on the variety you growing.

The side of the box is covered with reflection film. It reflect light for 92-97%. Plain white walls reflects 75-85%.
Thought it was a good idea to increase the efficiency. And it really works!
Im also using a Fan, not so much for polinating but more for airciculation. I hand polinated the flowers to be sure to get some fruits.

lee

Stinky said:
How many watts of cfl are you using? I will be using 8x54watt T5HO lighting for my plants. I have been debating how many plants I wiil be able to grow under that light. The area I have is 4.5feet x 2 feet x 4 feet. From your experience how many plant would you say would fit under there? What material are you using for the sides? Are you using a fan to pollinate?

@Milkman

They look very good! And that little pod on your choc. bhut, sweet:).
Untill now my Bhut hasn't set fruit.:)
What size containers do you use?

lee

I only wished i had some space like that available. Already threw some plants away because my box was becoming overcrowded.
I am only growing chili's but definately next spring I will sow some toms too.

lee

wordwiz said:
Lee,

I have a chamber that is nearly 8' long (a couple of the supposedly 8' 2x4 was only 92") and 3' wide. I attached 5 electrical fixtures to a top 2x4, spacing them 17" apart.

When I measured the light intensity at the top of the plants with them at the bottom (about 18" away) I was getting a bit over 3,000 lux, which is enough for seedlings, though I may raise the floor up six inches which should give me about 6,000-7,000 lux.

But since I won't sow these seeds until close to January, I will find something to use them for. Today, I espied several rose bushes (still blooming even though we have had several killing frosts) that are on public property. I just got a cloner and am anxious to try it. Plus, I have several plants (toms, peppers and cukes) growing in hydro and some broccoli in dirt that are begging for more light. Not to mention, figuring out how long it takes to grow a tomato from the time until the seed is sown until it is ready to transplant.

So much to do... and I can only take it a day at a time.

Mike

Lee...are you going to grow indoors until next spring and then plantout?

Actualy I started begin August with the idea to have chilli's for x-mas. I have not thought about taking them out next spring but it might be possible. I guess I have to see how my plants work out with the fruitset etc.
Only my Savina is going good the other stay a bit behind to my opinion.

lee

AlabamaJack said:
Lee...are you going to grow indoors until next spring and then plantout?

Thanks for the info Lee, What Kelvin Temp are those bulbs? Im running 6x6500k and 2x3000k. I think that should be right for growth and flowering. Those plants are looking nice.

My grow bulbs are 4000K, flower bulbs 2100K. I didn't run them at the same time. I switched to 2100K 3 weeks ago. Many others do run them simultaneously. I guess I have to try that next time to see the difference.
6500 is perfect to what i know. I think it should work out for with that setup.
Do you have any info about how much lumen your bulbs have?

Stinky said:
Thanks for the info Lee, What Kelvin Temp are those bulbs? Im running 6x6500k and 2x3000k. I think that should be right for growth and flowering. Those plants are looking nice.

lee said:
@Milkman

They look very good! And that little pod on your choc. bhut, sweet:).
Untill now my Bhut hasn't set fruit.:)
What size containers do you use?

lee

Unfortunately the pod is only a regular Bhut Jolokia, the Choc Bhut hasn't set fruit yet.

The containers I am using are 300m (or 12 inch), no idea on the volume however.

lee said:
My grow bulbs are 4000K, flower bulbs 2100K. I didn't run them at the same time. I switched to 2100K 3 weeks ago. Many others do run them simultaneously. I guess I have to try that next time to see the difference.
6500 is perfect to what i know. I think it should work out for with that setup.
Do you have any info about how much lumen your bulbs have?

I'm not sure,I do know each bulb puts out 5000 lumens each. 40,000 total. I would like to get alux meter but moneys tight at the moment.

Back