• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest Growdown!

Same seed stock seems fair. I am in for this one. You all are going down!

I like the idea of the same variety but not the same seed stock. That might overwhelm a particular vendor who might not have enough seeds if the participation is high.

IMHO, we should have rules in place by the end of Jan so we can get those seeds ordered and planted.

Sounds like fun - but should make it part of the rules to post a minimum of a weekly progress pic of the plants starting from first sign of hooking -- figure that would ensure everyone is using this years seed and not a plant they just happened to overwinter ! (Plus we'd all be able to keep tabs on everyone's progress !)

Or maybe make it a Home Depot, Walmart, or Lowes bought seedling of a variety they always carry (ie. Jalapeno, etc.) and see who can take it and make the most out of it by the end of the season ! (figure that way it's kind of like same seed stock without the need to organize a mailing)

I have more than enough seeds for Prik Kee Noo Suan (Gnu sp?) if everyone wanted to give it a shot.

I saved several thousand for the sole purpose of giving them away.

The other neat thing about the plant is that it is small enough that it does well in #1 pots or smaller, does well indoors and under flouros.

Do you have pics of the pods? I've never heard of that variety.

How about first person to create a stable hybrid wins? Too long of a competition?

If we do largest harvest, we will need to have a proof of life clause like in the cooking throwdowns. Easy enough. Just a thought.

Nothing Kevin grows is miniature.

I say do something like the Thai Hot you can get from Lowes and see who can get the largest plant as well as most pods.

That is a good idea as well. I would like to see people growing from seed since there is always some risk to nursery grown plants. Plus with seed you get to test everyone's germination skills and it really levels the playing field. I imagine people in Georgia will get Spring vegetable starts at Lowes early in the year, where people in Michigan might not get vegetable starts until May.

There is the also added benefit of "free". If people want to "growdown" with my seeds I will handle all of the shipping free of charge, no SASBE or anything.

I would also consider putting up the prize.

*disclaimer - I, honestly, am offering this out of my own selfish desire to see this pepper gain popularity. I love the little guy.

Back