• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest Growdown Throwdown 2017 Aji Lemon Drop!

millworkman said:
SPROUT!  Its a premature one though and will not live but I have life in my seeds!

Why will it not live?

MarcV said:

Why will it not live?

In my experience, the ones that pop super quick like this use up their energy too fast.  They never get past this stage.  The leaves become fully formed in the shell but never push through.

Seeds arrived from Dennish today and are in already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
s1borg said:
Seeds arrived from Dennish today and are in already

0f641af98460fb8598aabaea1ef4968e.jpg

I've run out off room on the heated trays so I've improvised with a zip loc baggie

Masher said:
Checked mine this morning....Tick tock, tick tock.

Just turn the heat up!  A soil temp of ~130 is just about right!   ;)

Seriously, mine are simmering at a soil temp of ~95.  (At least the soil at mid-cup depth.  I suspect the surface and first few mm are a bit cooler.)  They don't seem to mind, and I have no trouble germinating in the dead of summer, when the air is tickling 110.

Geonerd said:

Just turn the heat up!  A soil temp of ~130 is just about right!  ;)

Seriously, mine are simmering at a soil temp of ~95.  They don't seem to mind, and I have no trouble germinating in the dead of summer, when the air is tickling 110.
Soil temperature in my setup is only 75F (24C). Germination is usually fast!

I keep my thermostat sensor just inside one of the vent holes in the cell tray at one of the warmest feeling spots on the surface. Sometimes with dome on or off depending on how scared I am of dampening off. Keep thermostat set at 86 and power two lights and two mats with it. Temp usually reads between 84.2-84.9F

I dont have a thermostat.....i have the mat on a sheet of tile backer board and the dome on top of the mat...tons of condensation inside, had high success rate last yr, expecting same this yr.

Will give it through the weekend....with any luck, should see some activity by then.

stettoman said:

Now then, about those cheaters who are getting 4-day germination.... :mope:

Hope you're not serious.  Sure 5 days is unusual, but in several years of growing I've had a number of 4~5 day sprouts.
When you sprinkle water them 4 times a day and keep them at ~90f, they're gonna pop in a hurry.  

Geonerd said:

Hope you're not serious.  Sure 5 days is unusual, but in several years of growing I've had a number of 4~5 day sprouts.
When you sprinkle water them 4 times a day and keep them at ~90f, they're gonna pop in a hurry.  

Heh heh heh, Mr. "130 degrees" hopes I'm not serious....

Just for that, you may never really know..... :snooty:

Back