• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

lighting Grow tent lighting ?

Hey all, heven't been posting in a while. Finished off my grow season and been busy with the holidays. This year I've purchased a 2'x4'x5' grow tent. My question is what would be the easiest/cheapest light set up for this? As I'm realy wanting to go flourescent. An can't realy find any info on the floro routes in grow tents. Trying to get my 2013 season going.

Thanks Mega figured you would chime in. An better luck to you and your futre endevoures!

I built one like that last year for for my grow. So if that's the case I'll just double it's size. Thanks for the heads up.

You can go the t5 fluorescent route. They make 2' fixtures and you can get ones that are 2,4, or 8 blub. Hydrofarm makes good t5 fixtures, but so far the best in the industry in my opinion is the Badboy T5 by Quantum. You will need both grow lights (around 6000K spectrum) and also bloom lights (around 3000K spectrum).

The other option is of course a 250 w or 400 w metal halide for grow and then a high pressure sodium for blooming.

You can try to use giant CFL bulbs but you will not get enough light out of them for the price they cost.

Thanks Millwork. An what size T5 fixture would work best? Going to get a 4 ft one. Just not sure at how many bulbs are needed. As they come in 2-12 bulb options. Looking at just using this on seedlings til plant out date. Guessing around 60 plants. An maybe a select few to isolate while blooming.

After much research today. Thinking of going the MH/HPS route. Would a 400 watt be enough for my need? An how high off the seedlings should it be? This is a new form of lighting for me. As I used a homemade CFL light last year for my seedlings.

The 400 watt would be plenty for you. You're going to have to install a fan in the tent though, otherwise the temperature is going to soar out of control.

For seedlings you will want it 1 1/2 - 2 feet away to be safe. After you know what they can take then you can lower it. You can keep the light closer if your tent is cooled well by the fan.

Back