• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

greenhouse greenhouse

How many of you have a green house? I have the opportunity to get a large greenhouse but I am not sure if it would be worth it because I do not want to heat it in the winter. Can I grow things in it all summer, such as watermelons and tomatoes?

Dale

You can extend your season at both ends with a greenhouse, but I agree that it would be too expensive to heat in the winter. I keep telling myself I need to just let the plants that are in the hoop house go because it's not worth it to pay for the heat to keep them alive; but, well, most of you are as obsessive as I am, so I guess I don't need to explain.

I don't know about where you are, but it would be too hot in the summer to keep things in a greenhouse.

I don't know what I'd do without my greenhouse now that I have but I could never afford to heat during the winter, its expensive enough in the spring.

I grow all summer in my greenhouse but use a shade cloth and a have a blower removing hot air.

I really wanted one but Imy wif made sense to me when she said I would only use it Dec, Jan and Feb....she is right...I have my grow boxes that I can overwinter in....

Still I would love to have one...

There is one at the local Home Hardware I might pick up for my plants..its just over 100.00 cad..as for heat ill get a microfurnace for the nights...Still a thought mut im thinking my minds already made up lol.On the other hand Someone told me to use a tempo..You can order them with different fabrics.A hoop house what kind of plastic are they??

Thanks for the feedback. I think I am going to pass on this one for now I have the room for it but I do not think I could grow things in it all summer and I do not want it to sit empty taking up space. It is a 25x48.

Dale

Back