• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

greenhouse Greenhouse Software or CCG

My day job is IT consulting (I’m not a software developer) (not into open source) and I live in an area with Many large Greenhouses the company I work for wants to start marketing and providing solutions to the greenhouse industry. The obvious place to start is unified communications and collaboration (SharePoint) but I have no idea what software is used by most greenhouses for Computer Controlled Growing. I’m building a “small” greenhouse in the backyard for my peppers so I could probably test some of the hardware small scale first if I need to but I want to know what’s commonly used and works well.
Thanks Tyler.

http://growtronix.com/store/ This unit senses a power outage. It can be used to alert you of the power outage and/or used to keep the HID lights off for a period of time after an outage occurs to avoid firing a hot bulb.

In order for this sensor to function both the computer and the Growtronix systems main power supply must have backup power during the outage. Such as a laptop and/or UPS.
http://growtronix.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=36

I would imagine anything that allows you to control environment is key. Intake, exhaust, temp, humidity, even light cycle, a d intensity can be automated with the right
Software.

My day job is IT consulting (I’m not a software developer) (not into open source) and I live in an area with Many large Greenhouses the company I work for wants to start marketing and providing solutions to the greenhouse industry. The obvious place to start is unified communications and collaboration (SharePoint) but I have no idea what software is used by most greenhouses for Computer Controlled Growing. I’m building a “small” greenhouse in the backyard for my peppers so I could probably test some of the hardware small scale first if I need to but I want to know what’s commonly used and works well.
Thanks Tyler.

http://growtronix.com/store/

Very interesting.

Thanks Tyler.

http://growtronix.com/store/

what does unified communications and collaboration entail exactly? what information would be shared? and why?

you can run a greenhouse with nothing but a humidstat, thermometer and timer.

I've seen a growtronix setup at a local university and it was pretty cool. Although they only had a base system and few other modules like pH and temp it was pretty cool. Not sure how sharepoint would come into play as I wouldn't imagine they are collaborating with anyone else. I can see a typical setup being a laptop / or main desktop plugged into the network module and just sitting there for monitoring. Keep in mind selling plants and or flowers is not a huge business so $1000+ automated setups are probably purchased by very few clients especially since you can gather the same data via analog sources very easily.

what does unified communications and collaboration entail exactly? what information would be shared? and why?

In a greenhouse business you still have company owners (HR) and sales people that need access to Electronic forms, PowerPoint, documents, possibly OneNote workbooks and excel spreadsheets so SharePoint is a great solution for that. In a Giant greenhouse they could use windows phone 7.5 with SharePoint to take pictures of building problems, plant issues bug problems post them onto a SharePoint team site or discussion board or blog ask a question or report a problem and ask for advice this way they don’t need to wait for someone to walk across the building or come to the greenhouse to check out a problem (the answer will be documented and searchable in the future). These are just basic examples I know most greenhouse operations COULD live without this but I’m sure they use accounting software and have some electronic documents that need to be backed up if they have any custom software or configurations an automated backup system would be a great solution. If they have a retail store Microsoft dynamics Point of sale is a great solution for a digital cash register. Many business owners do online banking on computers that could be infected with viruses there are examples of companies in the states that are out tens of thousands of dollars because of this so installing high end firewalls two factor authentication and providing training would reduce the risk.

Microsoft case study: Greenhouse Operation Enhances Communication and Saves $100,000
Metrolina Greenhouses, one of the largest wholesale plant suppliers in the United States, applies technology wherever possible to increase productivity and efficiency. In 2007, wanting to ensure more reliable and responsive voice and e-mail communications with its customers, Metrolina engaged the M3 Technology Group to deploy and manage a unified communications solution based on Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 and Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007. To enhance worker collaboration, Metrolina also deployed Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007. These new capabilities helped the company increase efficiency, ensure operations continuity, and expedite customer service. And, by working with SoftwareONE to acquire the software through a Microsoft Enterprise Agreement, Metrolina is saving U.S.$100,000 on Microsoft software licenses over three years.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:8Abx2NYhhnkJ:download.microsoft.com/download/f/5/a/f5aea0e0-c4f4-4d56-8161-363566a4d75d/MetrolinaLicensing.doc+metrolina+greenhouse+sharepoint&hl=en&gl=ca&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESj-AlXzO7rZiKfu1DqyOnTKZEkpBZ8jXdJz6dq05wlFeYeAXVGcKLh0ytv_3XgqIUEbIyQx26Nb3LWTmkplg9yWDQ2g9SLjPPE6oAjxa-w8XjPbNo38LxINoDzMz1fJ0iL0lUMg&sig=AHIEtbSpa7SCIRjAcSIQyb6KoUdRbtaRKw
download.microsoft.com/download/f/5/a/f5aea0e0-c4f4-4d56-8161-363566a4d75d/MetrolinaLicensing.doc+metrolina+greenhouse+sharepoint&hl=en&gl=ca&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESj-AlXzO7rZiKfu1DqyOnTKZEkpBZ8jXdJz6dq05wlFeYeAXVGcKLh0ytv_3XgqIUEbIyQx26Nb3LWTmkplg9yWDQ2g9SLjPPE6oAjxa-w8XjPbNo38LxINoDzMz1fJ0iL0lUMg&sig=AHIEtbSpa7SCIRjAcSIQyb6KoUdRbtaRKw

I'm well aware of sharpoint as a previous STS MVP when it was first deployed as I set it up for over 5,000 users at a big firm. It's a great resources for techies, but I honestly don't see a lot of gardners taking the time to post a questions etc. In fact after several years of STS most people just e-mail back and forth.

The solutions your taking about are not new and unless you find a new upstart greenhouse company i'm sure they already have everything your trying to sale them.

Greenhouses are no different then any other business and the solutions your offering can be done by any solution provider in the city. In fact it takes me about 8 hours to setup a SBS solution with exchange and sharepoint for a small firm.

Well many of the growers in the area are not fully utilizing web based marketing a number of the greenhouses are not using grow lights or digital cash registers to track trends, upsell, cross sell. Very few of them produce E-mail newsletters or training videos/podcasts to position themselves as an authority in their niche I’m looking at installing computer controlled growing systems as well. I still think SharePoint is the better solution for documenting experiments, how to deal with pathogens .infections, funguses , disease, pest control and identification I’m sure they would not allow employees to surf the internet and check forums to ask questions. I thank you for your input you may be correct but our goal is to be the “trusted business advisor” as well as the “trusted technology advisor” even if this attempt to get into the vertical does not pan out I will learn things that I may use myself.

imo, you should look at retrofitting existing systems to relay information from existing equipment and sensors through a fancy wellbuilt interface, even one thats web based would be cool as hell.

sounds like you might be more familiar with coding than building hardware, maby you could start by offering a system that simply attaches torroidal type current sensors onto existing pieces of equipment like fans...louvers... swamp coolers, pumps, lights, etc etc. this would give you a basic on off type signal for this equipment that could be pushed out into a neat interface you could get at from a website/phone or w/e.

from there you could retrofit power centers to measure current with the same type of sensors right at the breakers, it seems to me like it would be a valuable tool to be able to monitor power consumption within each greenhouse and track trends spikes in consumption, etc.

imo you shouldnt be trying to build any new automation equipment, theres plenty of companies that have pushed that boulder for years, and for far more demanding environments.

ON ANOTHER UNRELATED NOTE: if i had a greenhouse i would totally put a model train with a web cam mounted to it inside somwhere, so i could "choo choo" around the greenhouse and look at the plants.

imo, you should look at retrofitting existing systems to relay information from existing equipment and sensors through a fancy wellbuilt interface, even one thats web based would be cool as hell.

sounds like you might be more familiar with coding than building hardware, maby you could start by offering a system that simply attaches torroidal type current sensors onto existing pieces of equipment like fans...louvers... swamp coolers, pumps, lights, etc etc. this would give you a basic on off type signal for this equipment that could be pushed out into a neat interface you could get at from a website/phone or w/e.

from there you could retrofit power centers to measure current with the same type of sensors right at the breakers, it seems to me like it would be a valuable tool to be able to monitor power consumption within each greenhouse and track trends spikes in consumption, etc.

imo you shouldnt be trying to build any new automation equipment, theres plenty of companies that have pushed that boulder for years, and for far more demanding environments.

ON ANOTHER UNRELATED NOTE: if i had a greenhouse i would totally put a model train with a web cam mounted to it inside somwhere, so i could "choo choo" around the greenhouse and look at the plants.

Thanks for the feedback I’m not a coder and custom software needs to be supported, updated, security tested and can be pricey to develop or have developed. IP based HID/led lights are interesting a city in Southern Ontario Welland I think is installating these “smart lights” that can be turned on or off remotely and send alerts. http://www.welland.c...nstallation.asp ALSI makes the industry’s most reliable LED fixtures and the company’s ALLED SL4 fixtures feature an embedded control and monitoring system that sends the city transportation office a text or email if a problem arises with a streetlight,

I thank you for your input you may be correct but our goal is to be the “trusted business advisor” as well as the “trusted technology advisor” even if this attempt to get into the vertical does not pan out I will learn things that I may use myself.

Now I think that would work. I make quit a bit of money on the side providing specific industry support and consulting, but what the owners don't realized is it's the SAME solution as every other industry with the addition of a few industry specific pieces of software. The key is the sales pitch and my extensive experience in the industry so I'm seen as an expert in their eyes when I'm selling the same old stuff ;)

You might thinki about smart house software... It allows everything electrical to be controlled remotely, from a computer, or cell, over the internet even (login required).

IIRC you can either replace the electrical sockets at about 45$ each, or else, but a 30$ plug adapter. Its all supposed to be relatively straight forward. They have solutions for locks, doors, water heaters, and so forth... Ought to be able to integrate a series of security cameras into the system as well to look at analog sensors, to look at plants, and so forth... If I remember right most/all of it runs off wifi, and some varieties use the house electrical system to form a network...

HomeSeer Technologies (www.homeseer.com), Custom Solutions (www.csi3.com/homevis2.htm), Smarthome (www.smarthome.com) and Sylvania (http://www.smarthomeusa.com/)

"The solutions your taking about are not new and unless you find a new upstart greenhouse company i'm sure they already have everything your trying to sale them. "

It is a tough market.

I have a small greenhouse, and hopefully a MUCH larger one in the next few years, I just want to get an email when my temperature or humidity goes wonky, that is all I need. BTW, I am also an IT Consultant by day.

Solar Greenhouse cooling climate control http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQbxh_2YbjQ&feature=related Canada: MP says support for greenhouses vital

Niagra West-Glanbrook MPP and Ontario PC leader, Tim Hudak, says that provision of support for the greenhouse industry is vital. he was speaking at the Ontario Greenhouse Alliances' annual lunch on June 5th.

"With over 250 greenhouse operations, Niagara is a leader in Ontario’s $1.25 billion greenhouse industry," said Hudak. "Niagara operators employ over 3,000 people and are looking to expand. It’s vital we create the right environment to support this growth by getting our fiscal house in order, eliminating red tape, and ensuring an affordable energy supply."

The region has several features which lend themselves to the greenhouse sector, including favourable climate, abundant water, supply of affordable, good quality land, construction companies and greenhouse suppliers.

"Niagara is poised for further growth in this sector," Hudak said. "My focus is on fostering this growth by bringing forward ideas which will encourage businesses to expand and invest here in Ontario as we unlock our great potential across the whole provincial economy.

"I’m proud my riding and the people I represent are world leaders in their industry. I will continue to work hard to support their efforts to create even more jobs," Hudak concluded.

Source: niagrathisweek.com http://www.freshplaza.com/news_detail.asp?id=98041#SlideFrame_1

That is similar to my current setup, mine is just on a larger scale. For cooling I have a 30" oscillating swamp cooler that is fed by a thermostat controlled solenoid. It has been staying 85 degrees in there even during this heatwave when combined with a 60% shade cloth over the top. The problem that I am concerned about is if I forgot to turn on the water or the vent gets stuck, I would like a backup system to email me and let me know there is a problem.

I think the key is making yourself the "expert" in the greenhouse industry your trying to marketing to. For example create a DBA called "Greenhouse Technical Solutions" then provide solutions related specifically toward the greenhouse industry and piggy back standard in house IT solutions into the mix.

Specific industry are a LOT more interested in speaking with an "expert" that know and understands their problems of that industry and can provide some viable feedback and solutions relevant to their specific needs. Setup a quick and easy website providing with solutions you provide and what vendors you use to provide those solutions and give a few case studies. You would have more business than you could imagine if done correctly. At least I know I have more business than I need and often farm out customers to other solutions providers for a small percentage of course lol

I have a small greenhouse, and hopefully a MUCH larger one in the next few years, I just want to get an email when my temperature or humidity goes wonky, that is all I need. BTW, I am also an IT Consultant by day.
Well when you get that larger greenhouse I’m sure you will have new employees and seasonal employees and not all of them will have completed a greenhouse technician course let’s say they are walking around watering or transplanting or harvesting and see a disease such as mildew or end rot would you rather have the employee stop working walk across the greenhouse ask someone to come take a look at it or hope they remember to mention it and the location the next time they see the right person to ask? Or pop out a phone take a picture post it to SharePoint where everyone can see it or email it to the correct person to deal with it.
If “Brian” waters the plants and notices for example southern blight or a fungal disease and later “Karen” walks past the same plant what are the chances they will both correctly identify the problem or describe it correctly? If “Brian” quickly posted the location and picture to SharePoint when “Karen” walks by later she takes the picture she goes to the SharePoint site and before she reports it she can see that “Brian” reported a plant with a white fungus, yellowing leafs and wilting posted a picture and said it was in row 5 near the end “Karen” can then delete the picture later.

Well when you get that larger greenhouse I’m sure you will have new employees and seasonal employees and not all of them will have completed a greenhouse technician course let’s say they are walking around watering or transplanting or harvesting and see a disease such as mildew or end rot would you rather have the employee stop working walk across the greenhouse ask someone to come take a look at it or hope they remember to mention it and the location the next time they see the right person to ask? Or pop out a phone take a picture post it to SharePoint where everyone can see it or email it to the correct person to deal with it.
If “Brian” waters the plants and notices for example southern blight or a fungal disease and later “Karen” walks past the same plant what are the chances they will both correctly identify the problem or describe it correctly? If “Brian” quickly posted the location and picture to SharePoint when “Karen” walks by later she takes the picture she goes to the SharePoint site and before she reports it she can see that “Brian” reported a plant with a white fungus, yellowing leafs and wilting posted a picture and said it was in row 5 near the end “Karen” can then delete the picture later.

I see your point. Of course "Brian" would find himself out of work the next day since he left a plant with southern blight hanging out in my greenhouse all day!

All kidding aside, I think you have a good idea for some of these large greenhouse operations. Right now the way I operate, since I am not on site most of the day, my wife runs the field. When she comes across anything questionable she sends pictures straight to my phone. I could see how the SharePoint idea would come into play if 5 or 6 people started sending me pictures throughout the day to my phone it could be overwhelming and their is no sharing of information.

Back