• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Green Pods

This is the first year that I've grown so many plants, because of that I have a ton of green pods, anybody got any creative ideas for green pods?? I saved em but what in world will I do with do many?

Pickle em, fry em, make relish candy them, all sorts of things. Green pods sometimes have a good flavor to them. You just have to experiment.

Make some sauce, throwing in tomatoes, onion, garlic, etc. to enhance them. My general rule of thumb for whether a pod is mature enough to use is whether the skin has started getting shiny instead of a matte finish.

You can cut them in half, stir them around when you make; stew, soup, toco meat, chili, etc. and then take them out once done cooking. It will spice it up but you won't have a nasty green pepper flavor (as stated above some pepper taste good green such as scotch bonnet, jalapeƱo, Thai varieties, etc.) good luck. Let us know which others taste good green!

Depends on the cultivar.

Many cultivars found in a typical grocery outlet are still not ripe (common for most ripening fruits). It presents problems logistically, for storage, delivery, and sales.

Unlike some fruits, chilies will only ripen somewhat off the vine (warm, arid conditions will help), but not as much as bananas or tomatoes. The good news is, they will still retain much of their fresh and pod-specific flavor.

I usually dry my green pods out and and make a powder, smoke em, or make a sauce or salsa. Pickling would be good too.

I had about 100 Bhut's at the end of the growing season that didn't ripen. It was a shame because some of them were freaking huge. I dried all of them and ground them. I also had the same with about 60 Cayenne's as well. They still make good powders, I just used some on a rack of ribs, and it still brought the heat.

Back