• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

video Good vermicompost video

JoeFish said:
I wonder if I should add some worms to my garden...
Start a compost bin and the finished compost will be full of worms. Put the compost in the garden and save some worms for the compost bin.
Homemade compost that is loaded with a good worm population will have a lot of vermicompost in it and I would consider it second only to straight vermicompost in terms of the best amendment you can give soil...period!
Noah Yates said:
I actually watched that just the other day... but I had to watch it again!!!! Gets me hyped.  As I said... I am going worm crazy this summer... let the Game of Worms begin!!!!! :party: :D
Worms are my little buddies too. When I screen my compost I pick out about 60% of the worms and return them to the compost bin.
The others stay in the compost and I see them in my containers still living off the organic matter. It's an incredible thing this living soil food web. :cool:

Post of the month, right here! That totally reminded me of the videos I sometimes got to watch in grade school science classes as a kid. Even down to that awesome music. (I think that track is from Music Has the Right to Children by Boards of Canada. ;) ) 
     PMD, you and I are kindred spirits. We both look at container gardening as maintaining little self-contained soil ecosystems that just happen to have pepper plants living in them. I was just thinking about this stuff as I was composting my raised beds the other day. I couldn't believe how many worms were living in my soil and compost. When I compost my beds, I don't consider it to be feeding my plants so much as feeding my soil and the worms therein. The most important step in growing a garden is growing soil!
     Thanks for posting this. Now I want to start a worm farm...

Glad you liked it Dash. Yes feeding the soil is everything and if more people would grasp that they would save a lot of money on fertilizers that are unnecessary and even harmful at times.

Could I add worms to a tumbler with a ton of organic matter and just not turn it. Would turning it kill the worms or is the tumbler getting to hot or am I mixing two completely differant things?

Tumbling wouldnt hurt them... but I am concerned they could get too hot.  It just depends on how hot it gets inside of your tumbler... which depends on whether it is in the sun and how much and what kind of food you feed them.

Proud Marine Dad said:
That's fine if they have food otherwise they will just die.What is in the buckets?
Ah. I messed up. I meant pots. I have plants growing in them. Would it still be ok to drop some worms in them?

Thanks, PMD. really good stuff in their.

Back in Feb. whilst sprucing up the beds, I thought I'd try some free-range vermiculture.

For now the top is open just above grade.
I'm concerned about excess rain  so I may have to cover it at least partially

Whenever I get a good hand full of succulent weeds I throw it in. I've also thrown in a handful of  alfalfa pellets on occasion.

Today there were several worms in there feeding when I pulled stuff up from the bottom.
It may just be some of the dozen or so I've randomly thrown in there.
I think it would be more worm friendly with a layer of coir just below or at the bottom of the bucket, and also getting some richer chow in there more regularly.
They really do have have to be fed over good bedding if you want serious population growth.

Since my raised bed soil is build on clay , there were very few worms when I cut the beds out of grass sod two springs ago. But they have steadily multiplied -in some beds more than others.   I'm thinking of seeding it with more Alabama Jumpers, they are a good clay worm. Some that I brought in with  composted horse manure last spring are still there or at least some of their progeny.

Back