• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Good resource for learning to preasure can?

So I got my pressure cooker/canner with the ambition of learning to pressure can but now I'm a bit nervous about it lol

Can someone explain how pressure canning works ? I'm going to do things like Bean soup , Chili ect .. Even meat if I can get it down but I'm confused because from what I'm understanding is you actually cook stuff in the canning process how do you know how long to cook and not over cook but still make sure it canned properly also if a item is already cooked like bean soup will the canning process over cook the soup ?

Gargoyle91 said:
So I got my pressure cooker/canner with the ambition of learning to pressure can but now I'm a bit nervous about it lol

Can someone explain how pressure canning works ? I'm going to do things like Bean soup , Chili ect .. Even meat if I can get it down but I'm confused because from what I'm understanding is you actually cook stuff in the canning process how do you know how long to cook and not over cook but still make sure it canned properly also if a item is already cooked like bean soup will the canning process over cook the soup ?

Above are great off-forum sites, don't forget the "standard" BALL-KERR

But right here at the THP Forum:

Canning peppers WITHOUT a waterbath
Pressure canner
pressure canning

Gargoyle91 said:
I guess my main question is can you pressure can precooked food or will the canning process over cook it ?

you mention canning beans and chili.  assuming its ground beef chili - that stuff is pretty hard to overcook.  I have not pressure canned beans, but I imagine their texture might be a little soft. this website disagrees though, and makes pressure canned dry beans sounds really good.

Back