greenhouse Good or crap idea? Greenhouse extension

I have been thinking about utilising the space between my greenhouse and the fence for more chilli plants. 4 tier mini greenhouses are £15 each and I thought of a cheap way to keep the plants dry from the rain but also wind protected so hopefully they will do better.

If I contact a poly tunnel company and buy a small piece of their plastic, I could span it between my greenhouse and the fence. You can just about work it out from the only decent pic I have at the moment - when I had just built the GH.

The gap is 4 foot from the fence to the GH and goes 4 - 5 foot back. Plants aren't there anymore
Image020.jpg

Opinions?

What's the goal - to raise seedlings, mature plants, harden them off?

The problem with most GH film is it really reduces light transmission, as much as 50 percent. Great in summer - I was still getting 35-45K lux in September. Bad in December or January - a really bright day might give me 20K lux.

My preference, especially if 4' wide is all you need, is the clear vinyl plastic. I've had it on a front window for a year and it shows no sign of degradation. It allows almost 100 percent light transmission.

Mike

wordwiz said:
What's the goal - to raise seedlings, mature plants, harden them off?

The problem with most GH film is it really reduces light transmission, as much as 50 percent. Great in summer - I was still getting 35-45K lux in September. Bad in December or January - a really bright day might give me 20K lux.

My preference, especially if 4' wide is all you need, is the clear vinyl plastic. I've had it on a front window for a year and it shows no sign of degradation. It allows almost 100 percent light transmission.

Mike

Cheers Mike, The plan is to gain extra plant space that is protected from wind and rain. Plants wont go out till May/ June time until September/ October. The plastic is only going to span across the top and the fence and wall will protect the rear and the front will be open.

What are the uses of this plastic you describe? Just so I know where to look.

The only way I can think to fix it to the greenhouse is to plane a length of timber to the gutter (not used) profile and staple it on. To attach it to the fence I can use batten to 'sandwich' it between the fence and batten and also add staples.

Chris

Chris,

I use it for insulation, covering widows with it (I live in a very old house and have not been able to replace all the windows). Not that it will help you, but Ace Hardware in the US sells it.

It probably will not withstand 1/2" hail raining down on it like FarmTek's 13 mil reinforced plastic is said to do. If shipping to the UK was not so expensive, I could send you some 6-mil AC/RV film that I have left over from the GH.

Mike

Back