• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Giant Pumpkin+veg. GLOG!!!

Possibly, before I left I had buried some vines since I saw some roots sticking out. Wonder if that has something to do with it's growth. IDK, it's growing and that is all that matters lol. I like how it looks so far, thought it was done last week, could have been a number of things. Growing slow but like the saying goes, slow and steady wins the race. 

The plant is definitely putting on tons of growth. Very happy with it right now. I just noticed at the tip of the main vine there is a female flower. Who knows that could be the next 500+ pounder? (I hope :pray:) Anyways she will be pollinated. Still a few weeks away.  Looked at a guide about how to pollinate and when. Some people say 5-10 feet. I will go for 5 since the flower is probably going to be along there. I know it probably should be further but I think 5 could work, or around I am thinking it will be more like 7-8 feet before she opens.

I have two pollinated pumpkins. The first one grew to about eight inch diameter and then stalled. The second is catching up and is at about six inches. I'll decide which to keep in a few days. Also, there are several pink bananas that are almost full sized already.

First pumpkin. The white balance on my phone's camera makes it look more yellow than it actually is.

Second pumpkin.

Jumbo Pink Banana, almost 20 inches long.

Well not gunna be able to get a pumpkin this year. Family wants a pool and the pool wants 16 feet so I would rather have my family be happy. Sorry guys, going to keep the thread updated with my other plants. I guess I will try next year.
Last picture of her be for she is pulled...

0jAtHdU.jpg

895 Rahe signing out at 5 feet. Better luck next year. Again sorry guys, doesn't mean its the end for my other plants. Just the end for the kin. It was a real learning experience and wow was it an awesome one. I had a lot of fun while it lasted and I want to thank Mr. Rahe for being so nice and sending me seeds and everyone else who has helped me along the way.

That's too bad. But, I would also rather have a pool than a pumpkin.

I will save seeds and I'll send some your way. I don't know if I'll grow the Pink Bananas next year. Mostly because I want to try other varieties and these plants are huge.

What other varieties would you like to try?

Yeah with temps being 100 almost daily wasn't sure if it would survive anyways. Also I don't know if I would have survived without a pool lol

I would like to try some kind of Butternut squash. Last year my mom asked me to grow Tahitian squash, which is a C. moschata with a high sugar content. The plants got huge, but there were no female buds. I think I'll try that variety again next year.

Haven't been to a beach in years, last one I went to was in Mexico, Rocky Point. Got to see my first jellyfish, was swimming and the thing came within inches. Plus a boat pirate boat ride, we saw seals, dolphins, whales. First time I had ever seen those animals in person.That was exciting. Hey maybe I can buy some toys for the pool, it would give it that ocean feel...lol

Gosh you're making me want to plan a trip!!! Pool it is for now, couple thousand dollars cheaper!

Whether I attempt a giant pumpkin depends on how big this year's pumpkin is and how fast my family eats it. If my family is slow, giants may have to be an every other year thing.

I've never had good luck with large tomatoes. My Beefsteaks usually start to rot or get eaten by bugs before ripening.

My second pumpkin is bigger than the first one. I spent some time today looking for a standard size sphere, such as a basketball. Couldn't find one, but I have lots of 2 liter bottles for size comparison.

The Second Pumpkin

The largest of the Pink Bananas

4.5 Evans tomato.
yY9L98g.jpg

Picture was taken about a week ago, it is about twice the size already. Hopefully I can get it to fruit. I want to save seeds, super aggressive plant. My favorite plant so far, the 8.41 is sluggish and doesn't look good.

The pumpkin has grown about 50% in the last four days. On Saturday, I removed a few small and rotting pink bananas. I still have five fruits that are larger than a 2 liter bottle. I also removed the first pumpkin. It seemed to have stopped growing at about baseball size.

Here is the pumpkin, it is approaching basketball size.

Back