• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Ghosts and Habs

On a road trip to Eastern Washington this past weekend, my wife and I stopped at a farmers market in a town called Twisp. The only hot chilis available for purchase were habaneros, and the price was a quarter each. On Sunday, we stopped at a farmers market in Lakeforest Park (a bit North of Seattle), and was pleasantly surprised to find Bhut Jolokia peppers. These pods looked wonderful, and they were asking $1.00 per Bhut. I don't know a lot about what prices should be for these peppers. What do you guys think?

Buy $5.00 worth and use the seeds to grow your own(assuming they actually are Bhuts).

and assuming they weren't crossed with something.

the 5$ worth of pods, seedwise if they weren't crossed, the combined amount of seeds from those 5 pods are enough to make it more than enough value.

No, I didn't buy any pods, and I'm kicking myself. If I can swing it, I'll see if some Bhut's are available next Sunday. I have a simple Bhut Jolokia sauce idea I want to try out.

They sell fres Bhuts at a nearby store. I have bought them and they are about $9.00 for a pack of ten peppers. They also sell dried ones as well which are about $5.00 for .25 ounces.

The single pepper prices seem reasonable to me, especially when someone just wants to "try" one...when you go back, please ask about a cost per pound of the Bhuts...I am guessing $20-$30...bhuts I am growing normally weigh about 6-7 gms each from my experience so you are talking 60-70 pods per pound...

SCORE! :onfire: I picked up 11 Bhuts Jolokia pods and a little over a half pound of red Habs at the farmers market! :woohoo:

The Bhut Jolokias
DSC00010.jpg

The red Habaneros
DSC00015.jpg

Now, to come up with some killer sauce :hell:

The prices on the Habs seem a little high. I buy them from my local grocery store, which sells them for $3.99 per lb. That means they cost around 4-7 cents each, depending on the size.
The price on the Ghost Peppers seems fair to me. I would pay that much if they were available locally.

Dave.
I can't believe I just saw this thread. You were probably 2 blocks from my house on that road trip!

I've seen habs in supermarkets over the years from $4.99-12.99/pound. Have yet to see a bhut in a store.

Literally !!! in our backyard!

and to think, Maligator made a 1-day, left at 5am over the south pass, pick up peppers, back across the North Cross before noon!

Other than the lack of hot peppers, what did you both think of the Twisp farmers market?

Edit- feel free to PM your feelings about the FM if you do not feel comfortable posting comments. No worries~

Maligator's pepper road trip is very impressive. My wife and I have been getting our peppers in the Yakima area. We leave around 5 or 6 am, and return early afternoon - but we take I90 and return back via I90, so I am extremely impressed with Maligator's pepper adventure.

My wife and I liked the Twisp farmers market. We had no problem finding parking across the street. Flow-wise, the market layout was interesting - basically a large "L" which results in people seeing any given exhibitor a couple times. There was a lot of variety of things to purchase which makes browsing interesting. Also, we enjoyed the live music - haven't seen that in any other farmers market we've been to in the Seattle area. Size of the market was on the medium+ range - bigger than most we've been to, but not the largest. If I recall correctly, only the Yakima farmers market is bigger, or it seems that way. Overall, we liked the Twisp farmers market, and would go again. The only thing I can suggest is to have the market open longer - I think it closes at noon or 1 pm.

thanks for your comments, David-

the market is only open until 12:00noon. Official hours are from 9-12, but unlike some markets which have an opening bell/signal/whatever, the vendors in Twisp can start selling as soon as they get there.

They're not Bhut Jolokia pods, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. There isn't a smooth variety. If it ain't wrinkly it ain't a Bhut.

Back