Found this guy in the pepper patch this morning

It looked like he was having breakfast. Well he is no longer with us.

IMG_1087.JPG
IMG_1088.JPG

I've been lucky. I've pulled around 30 or 40 off of the 7 tomato plants but have found none on the peppers. Tomatoes are only maybe 4 ft away from the long raised bed of peppers. Hornworms around here must prefer the taste of tomatoes thankfully. Top of the tomato plants are completely bare

I've only ever found them on my tomato plants. Unless they have parasitic wasp larva hitchhiking (in which case they get thrown in an empty 5 gallon bucket) they end up getting up close and personal with the bottom of my boot. :dance:

This was in a raised bed about 15 feet from where the tomato patch was. I eliminated all but 1 tomato plant about a week ago. I had a bad grasshopper problem this year. So between the grasshoppers and the tomato hornworms they did some damage to the tomato plants. Other than aphids my pepper plants up to this point have been basically untouched.

Every time I see one of these posted on this site I think I need to look up the video of the member who filmed himself cutting those guys in half with a pair of scissors. An absolutely pricless vid to watch, if you look it up.

someguy said:
This was in a raised bed about 15 feet from where the tomato patch was. I eliminated all but 1 tomato plant about a week ago. I had a bad grasshopper problem this year. So between the grasshoppers and the tomato hornworms they did some damage to the tomato plants. Other than aphids my pepper plants up to this point have been basically untouched.

I normally grow peppers, tomatoes, and eggplants in the same general area. :crazy:  I figure what the hell, lets invite all the destructive bugs to the party :banghead:

Every time I see one of these posted on this site I think I need to look up the video of the member who filmed himself cutting those guys in half with a pair of scissors. An absolutely pricless vid to watch, if you look it up.

Here's a short vid I just made regarding Hornworms lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIGEypr3TbA

Basil is supposed to be a natural pest deterrent. My plants under the lights so far have no aphids were I have a Basil plant, the pepper plant on my window cill did get them. SO going to keep a few plants indoors this winter.

Only found three this year.  All were relocated to other hopefully edible plants.

Hey, I like the big moths... :)

Yeah, if you can manage to keep them away from your plants but alive until the parasitic wasps find them, your problem may be solved long term.  Once the wasps get the message, they will be back early for next year's feast.  

Yet another good reason not to use pesticides.

Nastly little spawns of Satan.  I pulled a few off my pepper plants this year, which was my first encounter with them.

M

dragonsfire said:
Basil is supposed to be a natural pest deterrent. My plants under the lights so far have no aphids were I have a Basil plant, the pepper plant on my window cill did get them. SO going to keep a few plants indoors this winter.

really?  i got some blue spice i may not use that i will bring inside when my plants are pulled out :)  

Just checked this morning and I saw one Aphid, so even though it may not eradicate them it drasticly reduces them. My Basil looks worn out, so maybe replace him, hes been producing since spring.

Back