• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

outdoors Fishing Machine

Ok, first fishing................THEN beer. Got it! I'm a land mammal...didn't think about safety. You have a really good point there.

Yessir, the best day of fishing can quickly become the worst if there is a safety issue. For a yakker the following are mandatory before shoving off...

Type III PFD ~ it can't save your life if you're not wearing it.
Airhorn/noisemaker ~ yak's are very low profile and power boaters are not always aware.
Cell phone/radio ~ keep on hand in a water/weather proof case or ziplock on your person.
First aid kit ~ learn to do the mono trick for hook removal.
Float plan ~ info for at least 2 people about exactly where you are going and when you'll be back.
Head and eye protection ~ flying hooks are no joke, neither is sun stroke.
Hydration ~ paddling is a physical activity. Drink lots of water.
Common sense ~ anyone without it on the water is just asking for a come to Jesus meeting.

WOW! Had the yak out on Lake Lewisville this afternoon. Sunny, light wind out of the north, perfect. Just wanted to get it wet and feel how it handled. Tracked well and was an easy paddle. Didn't take a rod. Stupid me. Fish were blowing up everywhere. Lots of crappie and bass everywhere. Came around one point and found about an acre of water with hundreds of gar blowing up on fish. It was pretty dang incredible. Yak it up y'all.

TB...hint for you...Lake Ray Roberts Buck Creek Park is just north of Pilot Point is a great place to put in and close to good bass fishing in the spring...bass are probably bedding now...just head up 377 and go about 3-4 miles north of Pilot point...Buck Creek runs east and west here. put the "yak" in and head east up the arm of the lake...once you get there, you will understand what I am saying....

Much obliged Ronnie for the info. Haven't made it up to RR yet but was also planning to do the crik that links the LL and RR. I'll definitely be checking RR out soon.

Heading out in an the next hour to launch and fish the same water I reconned yesterday. Just too many dang fish to ignore and I can't break one of my cardinal rules...never leave fish to find fish.

Tricky part will be getting pics out of the yak. I need one of them thar' GoPro's. Hopefully I can manage a few still shots today.

Skunked. Hot & sunny. A bazzilion peeps on the water. Boats. Jetski's, Fools everywhere. Note to self. Don't fish Lewisville on the weekend.

'Posed to be some Bass tourney on the lake with 70 boats registered. Due to the early spring, reports I'm seeing is the lake is fishing like junk. I don't feel bad about the skunk since nobody else is catchin'.

Fish don't care when I show up. These days I don't have to beat other guides to the hole. I'll take a day off tomorrow and probably hit it again on monday. If it doesn't start to pick up I need to go find some clear water. If I can see 'em, I can get 'em.

Went fishing this morning on a holding lake right off the Rio Grande River. Three of us, caught 35 bass in about 3 hours, biggest a little over 4 pounds. Good fishing day in the Valley.

WTG armac! I never did all that well fishing freshwater in the valley. My brother on the other hand, he once pulled a 12 pound cat out of a canal. When I was in high school, the farm was outside of La Feria and right on the Arroyo Colorado. My brother always yanked out big cats and gar out of that dirty ditch.

I need to get me a little bass buster and meet you somewhere...

I need to get me a little bass buster and meet you somewhere...

You talkin' 'bout the plastic 2 man trolling motor boat? I've seen several on Lewisville. Pretty cool little rigs if you're not going too far. If the water drops and clears a bit, I might give you a holler.

I hit up Academy in Plano yesterday for some assorted crankbaits, Rattletraps and Spooks. Their spoon selection sucked though and later today I'll head over to Cabela's in Allen. Gotta' do some yardwork first though before the afternoon t-storm rolls in.

yup...one of those...they are pretty stable little platforms and I figure with just me, and maybe Ike, it would be cool to fish where I couldn't in my bass boat...that stretch to the east of the 377 bridge is beautiful...the south shoreline used to be standing timber in about 4-5 feet of water...I bet most if it is down now making a glorious bedding area...on the south shoreline so it is protected most of the time...this area goes to a point on to the east where the water is about 20' deep 10-15 foot from shore...pretty dang good drop off...

***the wife is going to freak when I tell her I want another boat***

My back is sore from yardwork yesterday so I'm sittin' here chillin'. Being cool, like I am. Looking out the window, sunny, light wind. I am so hitting the lake later today.

<====== Jealous

Fished this morning between three of us we got 40 bass, biggest was 6 pound 7 ounces. Beautiful morning in the Rio Grande Valley.

Most excellent armac. I should have fished yesterday as the wind was down and was a beautiful day. Today is too breezy and I'll hit it tomorrow. Lewisville has been spotty but getting better. Catchem' up!

Back