First time and late

New update

There are already 2 early jalapeños awakening, how it looks?

And 2 Aji coloraos are hooking

thanks....

There are already 2 early jalapeños awakening, how it looks?
And 2 Aji coloraos are hooking
It looks good, but...

Now the amount of light will become an issue. It gets tricky because every grow area has its own light, soil, moisture, humidity conditions that will affect the seedlings.

If left in the dome, the seedlings will stretch toward the light. You need to get the light as close as possible, like 3 to 5cm. Or get more lights. Or get some time in the window. Or some time outside in the shade. Be careful because you can roast the plant if too much. It gets tough at this point if you have a limiting factor of light.

Also, the fan with dome off will help make the stems tougher, but a constant stream of wind in one direction is not as good as variable wind. So you might need to move trays around a bit and watch you don't overdo it. Again, some judgement call on your part is the key as only you play all the cards.

Do you plan to eventually plant outside? If it is mild enough, you could move outside for some time. As the previous jerk noted (only thing said worthwhile), is the sun is free. Good luck... :cool:

It looks good, but...

Now the amount of light will become an issue. It gets tricky because every grow area has its own light, soil, moisture, humidity conditions that will affect the seedlings.

If left in the dome, the seedlings will stretch toward the light. You need to get the light as close as possible, like 3 to 5cm. Or get more lights. Or get some time in the window. Or some time outside in the shade. Be careful because you can roast the plant if too much. It gets tough at this point if you have a limiting factor of light.

Also, the fan with dome off will help make the stems tougher, but a constant stream of wind in one direction is not as good as variable wind. So you might need to move trays around a bit and watch you don't overdo it. Again, some judgement call on your part is the key as only you play all the cards.

Do you plan to eventually plant outside? If it is mild enough, you could move outside for some time. As the previous jerk noted (only thing said worthwhile), is the sun is free. Good luck... :cool:

Thanks...

Think that with 2 of these be enough? are quite cheap here --> Lexman 20W or better this one Lexman 23W or something bigger?

Yes I plan to go outside when it go bigger I think is too soon...

thanks for your answers...

As the previous jerk noted (only thing said worthwhile), is the sun is free.

Jerk?

Nice.

In the future, I'll be sure to keep my posts in the growing section strictly devoid of character and humor, limited only to dry scientific thoughts from this point forward.

Here's one for the both of you:

Go get laid and chill the :censored: out!

Quote by the newbie pyro-pod so many months ago:

"I appreciate all the folks who have enough passion to pull this thing together. I thought I'd share a few pictures and such. Hopefully you fellas would be gracious enough to dispense a little knowledge to the new guy. If I can be of any help to other forum members, I'll do my best."

Not the way your posts came across. Just sayin, thought you stepped over the line. Not very funny, and not Yankee humor IMO, just insult. But rather than spoil this thread, take it to a PM to me direct. Vent all you like there.

Thanks...

Think that with 2 of these be enough? are quite cheap here --> Lexman 20W or better this one Lexman 23W or something bigger?

Yes I plan to go outside when it go bigger I think is too soon...

thanks for your answers...

I think the text book answer is for 3000 lumens per square foot. Sorry can't do the math for converting all thats needed to metric. I think any additional light is going to help, but you'll need to move pretty fast... :cool:

But rather than spoil this thread, take it to a PM to me direct. Vent all you like there.

I was making a lame attempt at humor. Yes, it was lame but quite obvious to anyone. Or almost anyone, I should say.

I made a joke about how I have the exact same Ikea table in my bedroom and that I couldn't afford to turn the $10 table into a grow lamp because we're too poor. Get it? $10 table.... can't afford to turn into a lamp.... we obviously could afford to turn our cheap-ass table into a lamp if we so desired.

Then I made a joke about the thread being titled "First time and late". Maybe you guys just didn't get it but I'm NOT going to explain the whole human reproductive cycle for you. It just sounded funny to me. I thought I'd point it out. Sort of like the whole "that's what she said..." thing.

I just didn't think it warranted the snide remarks from Murciano or you calling me a jerk!

Sorry, y'all. Didn't mean to ruffle your skirts. I'm done here.

@ Pyro: Thanks for the explanation. You're right, it zinged right over my head. I'll chalk it up to my German great-grandfather, apparently no humor allowed in that line, LOL. I'll be the jerk today... :cool:

@ Murciano: Pardon the distraction/over-reaction. Now lets grow some pods!

@ Murciano: Pardon the distraction/over-reaction. Now lets grow some pods!

Ok, no problem , Lets go grow some pods
dancingpepper.gif

One question, black habanero and sweet aji no signs of hook, its normal?

thanks..

Not familiar with those, but some take much longer to germinate. It can be tough to keep everything under the dome and under heat while waiting for the slow pokes to emerge.

Not familiar with those, but some take much longer to germinate. It can be tough to keep everything under the dome and under heat while waiting for the slow pokes to emerge.

Ok, What you suggest to do?

is normal find the soil dry?

thanks...

Noooooo.... You need to monitor the moisture of the soil almost every day. Never let germinating seed trays dry out. Keep it moist, but not so wet there is standing water. You can keep it wet by placing the seedling tray in another tray of water and let it soak in from the bottom. Or spray/sprinkle water from the top very gently.

Begin to cut back on water after they become plants.

What I suggested earlier was to get rid of the dome after half of the seeds germinated. Put plastic wrap over the remaining area still to germinate. This plastic wrap become like the new 'dome.' Meanwhile, get the growing plants out in the open air and under the lights as close as you can while waiting for the slow germinators.

Man, somewhere around here is a step by step guide of how to germinate and grow plants.... :cool:

p.s. Did I say earlier I don't like domes? Because it can be hard to accomodate growing plants and seeds still waiting to germinate.

Noooooo.... You need to monitor the moisture of the soil almost every day. Never let germinating seed trays dry out. Keep it moist, but not so wet there is standing water. You can keep it wet by placing the seedling tray in another tray of water and let it soak in from the bottom. Or spray/sprinkle water from the top very gently.

Begin to cut back on water after they become plants.

What I suggested earlier was to get rid of the dome after half of the seeds germinated. Put plastic wrap over the remaining area still to germinate. This plastic wrap become like the new 'dome.' Meanwhile, get the growing plants out in the open air and under the lights as close as you can while waiting for the slow germinators.

Man, somewhere around here is a step by step guide of how to germinate and grow plants.... :cool:

p.s. Did I say earlier I don't like domes? Because it can be hard to accomodate growing plants and seeds still waiting to germinate.

I control every day but when I come back to see again, after hours is dry again, might I water twice a day?

thanks..

I control every day but when I come back to see again, after hours is dry again, might I water twice a day?
Hmmmm...some germinating mixes dry rapidly. What are you using for soil mix? It looks like you don't have your plants in small cells, just a larger container. This could lead to fast drying also. That's not good if the depth of the seedling tray is shallow. What is the depth of the mix in the seedling tray?

Meanwhile, keep it moist, yes twice a day, especially before/during germination. But once seedlings get established, too much moisture leads to tall weak plants.

Hmmmm...some germinating mixes dry rapidly. What are you using for soil mix? It looks like you don't have your plants in small cells, just a larger container. This could lead to fast drying also. That's not good if the depth of the seedling tray is shallow. What is the depth of the mix in the seedling tray?

Meanwhile, keep it moist, yes twice a day, especially before/during germination. But once seedlings get established, too much moisture leads to tall weak plants.

Im using Compo Sana Universal, no dont have cells, is a container, the depth is around 4cm for that reason I'm thinking of moving them to pots

Ok, I will continue watering twice a day....

It seems I've made several mistakes
icon_sad.gif

thanks...

You might be okay with a tray that depth, as many starter cells are only around 5cm, but I'm not an expert at this procedure. You might wish to start a new topic and put a title like "Transplanting from a seedling tray." with subtitle "How long should I wait?" If you do, try to post a really close picture of the plants, and a separate wider picture of the tray.

The reason to start a new topic more people will see it than in the regular logs. In the meantime, I'll answer what little I know:

Some of the folks here plant in trays like yours and then they cut carefully like a cake and move to a pot. (I think.) I know one of the top guns here "Sandgroper" in Australia does a lot of his transplants this way. He mentioned once he has moved transplants at all stages, even while very small. But I think more people wait for true leaves.

Good luck and hang in there.... :cool:

Back