• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

First Hard Freeze Coming. To Prune Or Not To Prune. Opinions?

I have a really bitchin' jolokia out in the backyard that has pretty close to 100 pods on it as it sits. About 4 feet tall and probably a 6-7' canopy.

I *really* want to try and get this thing through the winter in the ground.

Part of it isn't up to me, but about sustained freezing temps. But I want to prep the plant as best as possible for a couple of freezes that then return to above freezing temps withing 12-18 hours. That's not atypical for us, and how it was last winter for just a few nights. Winter before had sustained frost for several days in a row, and I know that's a death sentence.

But has anyone had experience with whether a solid prune prior to a freeze will help in survival, or if it's best to let it be and cut back freeze-damaged branches? I'm certain we'll see 70s and maybe even 80s again this month. Just gotta figure out what's best for the next few nights. Especially tomorrow.

I can't cover the plant easily due to its size unless I cut it back severely. I do plan on watering it in nicely if it doesn't rain tonight in anticipation of the freeze. Should stabilize temps in the soil at least some.

TIA for any experiences you can share.

damn your lucky growing all year and in the ground lol

Tyler. I wish. We're SOOOO close to being able to grow all year. But January and February ruin it for us. :)

I'm trying to cheat nature with just this one plant. And I don't want to rip it up and overwinter it in a pot. I don't think it'll produce as well if I kill the root system and re-plant in March. I'm not sure.

go to your hardware store and buy a roll of plastic (painting section) then toss it over the plant and hold it down with rocks... or If you want to get really fancy build a box frame and staple the plastic to that, portable green house!

I cover my my 14' garden with that plastic so I'm sure you can cover your plant with that and make it by -- good luck to you all the same.

Ah. Thx, slpknt. I'm po' right now. BUT...I think I have enough 2x4s laying 'round that I might be able to fab something up. I may prune it back just enough to try and shove it inside a homemade "box" and see what happens. Who knows. Maybe I'll get lucky...

I'd still love to know if it'll fare better pruned back, or if freezing is freezing is freezing..

Eric, I brought in some plants today. Maybe 15-18 I think. Four I dug up (that were really good producers) from the raised beds and put in pots. I have done this year after year for my faves that are in the ground. Some have survived unprotected in the past so it seems that any effort would help. I would cut them back if I were going to try and keep them outside.

Good luck, Mike

Thanks, Mike! I may try that today if I get home from work in time. Might have time this morning. Who knows. Keeping my fingers crossed that it isn't TOO bad tonight. :)

Maybe you could cover it with a trashcan? Couple blankets ontop of the trashcan or even sticking a couple jugs of hot water with it before you go to bed? Although I read recently that hot water freezes faster than cold water because of 'thermal flow' so Im not sure if that is a good idea or not.

Well, it's currently only 30F out. Which means nothing died! Even my potted plants I left uncovered are aces. It'll be cold the next couple of nights, and I may leave my sheet protection on my big bhut (BTW, spysee I pondering a trashcan, but after measuring, none of mine would fit over it without trimming it back!) for tonight again, but I think I've escaped the killings till at least around Christmas time.

I'm hoping to get past New Years this year, just so I don't have to keep my overwinters inside as long.

I may even try to keep one overwinter in its original pot and move it in and out.

Cats suck, though. We'll see.

Not to sound funny or anything, but...maybe you could try using a small string of Xmas lights hung on or around your plant.
After all, it is Xmas. Shouldn't look too out of place now.
Thought I read something earlier this year about someone suggesting lights to help ward off the frost.
It will raise the temp around the the plant and also will look nice.
Could leave them on for awhile to raise the temp under the covering you use as well, if getting real cold.
Heck, if you are like some of the people around where I live...they leave their lights on all night and well into February.
So this could get you another few months of growing.

It is hard to just give up on your plants. I left a few go that I now wish I would have done more to and tried saving.

Post up a pic if you do hang lights.

I love it! Christmas lights are a great idea and I have some cool battery-powered ones that might just work. Thank you.

Well it's 30F again this morning, but last night it got to freezing earlier and stayed there longer. My kids made sure I was up every hour or so to see the temps. :rolleyes:

If it's still alive this morning, then I should be able to keep it alive till pretty close to Christmas. Aiming for January!!

Back