Find a need then fill it

OK, right now I have a need to pummel a head football coach of a local high school. I send out a simple form asking for impact players returning, likely starters on offense and defense, the type of O and D they play. Basic stuff. A D1 (large school) in Ohio doesn't list anyone as being a starter on either side of the ball!

But anyway, my wife and several other people I know love a particular dish, one that I don't know of any restaurant serving. That's the need, and I can fill it!

The product? Fried Green Tomatoes. An eight-ounce tomato will provide three-four slices which, when floured and fried can easily fetch $2.50, maybe $3.50. But the mater would cost the restaurant only 50¢, 62.5¢ if I have to use heat.

The advantages of selling green tomatoes are numerous - cuts down on the days to maturity, don't have to deal with BER, uneven ripening or cracking, their shelf life will be a few days to maybe a week longer.

I don't have any data to prove it but anecdotal evidence (holding a green one and a red one in each hand) suggests the green weighs a tad more.

The other aspect of my devious plot to take over the Fried Green Tomato market in Cincinnati. Besides the fact no one is selling green tomatoes, is that I know several restaurant owners/chefs within almost bicycling distance. If I can secure just five of them to buy 20 pounds per week... which would only be about six servings a day per place.

Ideas like this give me a break from my day job!

Mike

So your plan is to convince restaurants to sell fried green tomatoes, and then sell them the tomatoes? Or to make a product, freeze it, and sell it wholesale? Most local restaurants that sell FGT make them fresh, chains would use frozen, but they have large suppliers. What is your plan exactly?

origamiRN said:
How come, when I make FGT, they come out soggy?

How do you fix them? I coat them with flour, usually have to rub it on them a couple of times and let it soak in a bit, then drop them in a hot skillet with a bit of Crisco. Turn the heat down a bit, turn them over when they are brown on one side.

Of course, you can add any topping or spices you want but that's the basic way.

Mike

Back