• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water Filtered water for DWC

i am not going to pretend to know everything possible about chlorine and its effect on plants, but i will state i have been growing since 1987, and have always gave my water at least 24 hours before using it, #1 temperature, #2 chlorine, now i have also read every possible piece of material i could ever get my hands on, and have learned that not every plant is sensitive to it

will using chlorinated water kill them like weed killer ? no of course not, it is possible that it very well may cause a nutrient block, or possible nutrient lock in "some" plants over time who knows?

another thing to consider, each municipality may use a slightly different type, different levels, i have personally noticed my tap water in the morning smells like bleach or at least a swimming pool that was just treated, my father in law lives in the same town as i do, has had the same garden for over 40 years in the same exact location, and grows amazing vegetables, about 10 years ago he had a well put in, just to water his garden, it made a big difference for whatever reason

i also have learned that hot peppers are not like any other garden plant, typical gardener has no clue it is a perennial, they have no clue it is not photo-period sensitive, so many rules of thumb in gardening do not apply with peppers

guess it can be debated and be like ford vs chevy, like i said temperature is important too, you can shock a plant with cold water, to me it is waaay to easy to be safe than sorry

from here http://www.greenhousegrower.com/article/22768/chlorine-dioxide-in-horticulture-a-technology-review

Greenhouse Vegetable Production

A large greenhouse tomato, pepper and cucumber operation in California (pictured at right) injects chlorine dioxide into its irrigation water and post-harvest water network to sanitize various production and post-production systems. First, constant injection to achieve a residual of 0.25 to 0.50 ppm in the irrigation water has removed pre-existing biofilm in the lines and prevents its re-establishment. A secondary benefit of this application is elimination of drip-emitter clogging resulting from organic matter deposition associated with biofilm growth and sloughing.

Algae control is another secondary benefit as the trough irrigation system is significantly cleaner with respect to algae buildup than prior to treatment. Because control is a function of continual contact between treated water and the surfaces, complete elimination of algae is dependent on the physical design of the irrigation system. Design flaws that include dead legs in irrigation runs and areas where both effective contact and regular contact time are not achieved need to be identified. These stubborn areas within an irrigation system next need to be managed with an additional effort that often involves periodic treatment with a higher dose of chemical. Such design flaws should be eliminated as irrigation systems are expanded within an operation. Once again, connecting the dots is allowing us to better understand the problems in order to solve them.

Once the tomatoes are harvested, they literally are dumped into an underground water network that floats them to the grading and packing area. Once in this area the tomatoes are transferred to a water bath containing chlorine dioxide for surface sanitation as they are cleaned, graded and packed. Tomatoes are received in a packing area via an underground water system and are raised into a chlorine dioxide solution as they float through the sanitizing and cleaning process.

Another advantage that chlorine dioxide offers with regard to vegetable and other edible crop sanitation is that because of its gaseous nature, any molecules not consumed in surface sanitation escape to the air and eliminate the need to rinse the product with water to remove any residual chemical. This avoids the issue of ensuring that rinse water, in itself, is free of microbial organisms and not re-contaminating the product. Freshly harvested produce is passed through a field-level hydro-cooler. Chilled water removes field heat, rinses soil and debris and also provides initial surface sanitizing of produce on its way to a packing shed. The water in this system is treated with chlorine dioxide.

im going to go out on a limb and say that the agronomists that run these greenhouses... that turn over millions of dollars annually know whats up with respect to chlorine.

also, if you are concerned with your chlorine content. please go buy a simple free chlorine tester. they are like 10 bucks on amazon, and will give you resolution down to like .2ppm in some cases. i can guarantee you that you are not getting more than 1ppm free chlorine. in all likely hood you are getting less than .1 read the epa regulations concerning chlorine injection rates for water wells. here in texas, they typically inject at like 1 or 2ppm. if its a groundwater source its usually alot higher.

here are the TCEQ regs.
§290.46(b) Microbiological. Submission of samples for microbiological analysis shall be as
required by Subchapter F of this chapter (relating to Drinking Water Standards Governing
Drinking Water Quality and Reporting Requirements for Public Water Systems).
Microbiological samples may be required by the executive director for monitoring purposes in
addition to the routine samples required by the drinking water standards. These samples shall
be submitted to an accredited laboratory. (A list of the accredited laboratories can be obtained
by contacting the executive director).
§290.46(c) Chemical. Samples for chemical analysis shall be submitted as directed by the
executive director.
§290.46(d) Disinfectant residuals and monitoring. A disinfectant residual must be
continuously maintained during the treatment process and throughout the distribution system.
§290.46(d)(1) Disinfection equipment shall be operated and monitored in a manner
that will assure compliance with the requirements of §290.110 of this title (relating to
Disinfectant Residuals).
§290.46(d)(2) The disinfection equipment shall be operated to maintain the following
minimum disinfectant residuals in each finished water storage tank and throughout the
distribution system at all times:
§290.46(d)(2)(A) a free chlorine residual of 0.2 milligrams per liter (mg/L); or
§290.46(d)(2)(B) a chloramine residual of 0.5 mg/L (measured as total chlorine

for those systems that feed ammonia.
§290.46(e) Operation by trained and licensed personnel. Except as provided in
paragraph (1) of this subsection, the production, treatment, and distribution facilities at the
public water system must be operated at all times under the direct supervision of a water works
operator who holds an applicable, valid license issued by the executive director.

inch above the bottom durring seedlings, inch below after established

photo-19.jpg

I have a quick question about this setup.
I understand that the clear tubing along the side of the bucket is used for drainage and also to see the water level.
However is it really necessary to have it though?
Please forgive me for going off topic here on a topic that was not created my me.

Back