• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Fiery Foods Challenge

I have a friend that owns a bar and he knows that I grow hot chillies and we got to talking about maybe doing some sort of fiery foods challenge when harvest time comes around. We were throwing some ideas around with hot wings. I am growing bhuts, scorpions, and yellow 7 pods this season so I feel like we could make an extreme hot sauce. But I was kind of thinking wings were a bit too common of a challenge, and there are a couple of other places near that do a hot wings challenge.

So, I was thinking of doing a popper. I was debating on either doing a bhut popper or a jalapeno popper with a super hot filling. I was going to fry the popper and I am a big fan of honey with fried food, so I was going to do a honey hot sauce using scorpions and/or 7 pods. We were going to do a timed challenge, where you have to eat x amount of poppers in so much time, and then we were going to do a burn time frame where you have to sit letting the heat kick in and are not allowed to drink or eat anything else for 15 min. Served with a glass of milk tempting people to drink it.

So, I come here to get some feed back on the idea. Should we go with a bhut popper or can we just add something hotter in the filling of the Jalapeno, also remembering that we will be adding a (hopefully) extreme hot sauce on top of the poppers. How many poppers do you think would be needed and how much time is needed to make it a challenge? There will be that 15 min burn period so the challenge isn't about eating the poppers quickly, but we don't want some one to eat one an hour and win the challenge.

sounds like a fun project.

One thing to consider is- with something like wings, everyone is getting the same sauce, the same heat, the same number/amount. With something like poppers, there will be variables from pod to pod as to heat and size. Don't know if there is a way to ensure equal portions for all contestants. Especially if you were to use bhuts or scorps for the popper, it would be hard to make sure they are equal.

Maybe if the jalapenos are used as the popper and bhuts are put in the filling. If you cut the jals in half, then the filling could be measured into each half and you would know that each contestant is getting 1 Tbsp (or whatever) of filling, which they must eat.

Thanks for the advice salsalady. I will have to keep the portion size in mind. Maybe we could do something like a total weight of the plate.

I was asking some friends that like hot food for advice too. The thing that a lot of them said is the challenge with wings is that they are hard to eat cleanly. So, when you take a bite of a wing and you get that sauce on your lips and face you get a lot of burn from that. Where with something like a popper you will be able to keep yourself relatively clean so that burn will not hit the lips as much.

It will still be a few months before I am going to be picking any pods. At this point I am trying to plan out as much as possible and hopefully get any kinks out before the time comes. I will end up sacrificing myself for a test run or two to make sure it is a challenge that is hard but also do able.

I grow jalapenos for one reason and one reason only. They are great for stuffing hotter things into.

We have a great wing challenge here locally called the "Ghost Wing Challenge." It's 10 wings in 15 minutes and even if you eat all the wings in 3 minutes you have to wait for the 15 minutes to expire before you can eat or drink anything else or wipe your face. They are HOT! The only flaw is that someone (like me) can sit there and stare at them for 12 minutes and then pound them down in the last 3 minutes followed by a cold beer (and water). Make sure to start the "burn time" AFTER everything is gone. Another cool thing they do is they have a contest every year to see who can eat the MOST Ghost Wings and it's only for those who completed the original challenge (not many people). They make the "Blazin Challenge" at BWW seem like honey bbq. :mouthonfire:

The thing that a lot of them said is the challenge with wings is that they are hard to eat cleanly. So, when you take a bite of a wing and you get that sauce on your lips and face you get a lot of burn from that. Where with something like a popper you will be able to keep yourself relatively clean so that burn will not hit the lips as much.

That's very true. Just like boneless wings aren't an option in most places challenges for the same reason, very easy to eat clean. Which is also one of the reasons I prefer to order boneless/tenders over regular wings.

To offset that, I guess you could consider something like stuffing the poppers with extreme heat & liberally covering in an extreme sauce. Then to be mean, make people eat them from the basket using only their mouths, no hands or utensils allowed. I'm sure people would get their face & lips covered in heat that way.

On the flip side, the challenges like the hellfire sushi challenge are just about the pure heat, not about getting it all over your face & lips.

I grow jalapenos for one reason and one reason only. They are great for stuffing hotter things into.

We have a great wing challenge here locally called the "Ghost Wing Challenge." It's 10 wings in 15 minutes and even if you eat all the wings in 3 minutes you have to wait for the 15 minutes to expire before you can eat or drink anything else or wipe your face. They are HOT! The only flaw is that someone (like me) can sit there and stare at them for 12 minutes and then pound them down in the last 3 minutes followed by a cold beer (and water). Make sure to start the "burn time" AFTER everything is gone. Another cool thing they do is they have a contest every year to see who can eat the MOST Ghost Wings and it's only for those who completed the original challenge (not many people). They make the "Blazin Challenge" at BWW seem like honey bbq. :mouthonfire:

where in TC is this ?

Back